Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Dvd 4.x

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:42 AM

I have been using the program Secunia to keep my PC up to date. In the scan results it tells me the following.

"This installation of PowerDVD 4.x is end of life and potentially exposes your system to security threats"

I am not even sure what this program does it has been in my PC since I bought it around 5 - 6 years back. I have a vague memory of uninstalling it by accident a couple of years back and something wouldn't work. My son figured it out and after reinstalling it all was well.

Can someone tell me what it is and what I should do about the scan result.

Again, thanks in advance.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:10 AM

Hi

Cyberlink PowerDVD allows you to play DVDs on your PC.
The latest version is PowerDVD 8.0
The last updates for your version were back in 2003.
Follow this link. http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/updates_1_ENU.html
If you don't play DVDs on your PC or have other software that will do it, then you could just uninstall it.
Windows Media Player will play DVDs so long as the CODECs are on your PC.
If you uninstall PowerDVD you may find Windows Media Player will no longer play DVDs. In this case it will tell you it is unable to find the necessary CODECs. It would then be a case of finding a download source to obtain them.
Steve

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:04 AM

thanks for the reply SLIX. I think that was what happened when I accidently uninstalled it before, WMP wouldn't work right. Is it a major issue being at end of life or whatever and will the PC work fine with it anyway?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:30 AM

Hi

I don't know much about the program as I don't use it.
Secunia don't seem to have any security issues with it, see their report here http://secunia.com/advisories/product/5845/
With a product being at the end of its life, you usually find that company behind it will not provide any support.
Having said all that, I would suggest that if you can play your DVDs ok then just leave things as they are.
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users