Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not A Win32 Application; Cnet Dwnld Of Ad_aware Free

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Marcia98360

Marcia98360

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:25 AM

Trend Micro quarantined 7 malware on my Toshiba Sattelite laptop running Vista Home (?Premium I think) sp1 using Verizon AZAcess and a USB727 modem/wireless card. Among many other places, my installation and membership thread today is as follows: HijackThis download, install, run, report to Trend Micro, join, and ultimately link to BleepingComputer. At BleepingComputer, I joined and managed to get myself to the HijackThis forum. I got through the first 3 of thier recommended steps and have errored out in step 4A: got an account, set BleepingComputer e-mail to immediate notification, ran Vista cleanmgr from the Run command/routine.

I'm currently stalled trying to download the first recommened scanning program in Step 4. I went to the BleepingComputer link at lavasoftusa.com to get the free version of Ad_ware 2007. The link there goes to a page for Ad_aware 2008 which in turn links to Cnet.com where I got a free membership so I could download. In my first attempt, I used the SAVE option and the actual download seemed to go ok. After the aaw2008.exe file downloaded I got a popup that included the option to OPEN FOLDER, which I clicked. When the folder was opened, I double clicked on the aaw2008.exe file icon at which point I was asked by the Vista s/w if I wanted to run it, I clicked on RUN. All too soon, the system came back with the following error:
C:\...<dir_tree>...\aaw2008.exe is not a win32 application

At that point, I did a Control Panel - Programs....to ensure that nothing got installed; nothing showed. I got back to the OPEN FOLDER window and: left clicked on the file icon to select it, right clicked on the icon to bring up the properties, and clicked on Delete. From there, I made it back to the Cnet page with the Ad_aware 2008 installation link. This time, I tried the RUN option. So very quickly, the system came back with another not a Win32 application error of some sort. Just to make sure and with a few clicks, I tried it again with the same results and a few bleeps from me about my bleeping computer.

I got through some Cnet.com support pages and more. Through that endevor, I left an e-mail about failing download s/w and got a reference number. I puddled through some more support stuff then tried the search engine where I got a lot of data and no information. What I discovered is that this is not a rare phenomena over there, a lot of the posts seemed to be for XP, I am not an efficient user of their search engine and never did get to any answers, and I was getting grumpy. I did leave a post on one of the forums.

And, now I'm leaving a post here. Something tells me this is not as much a Cnet.com download.com error as a system configuration error. I am hoping that my ?quarantined? malware is not the source of the config problems. Although I've been doing manual scans within about every 24 hours, it's like being pregnant: You can't be just a little pregnant, you either are or you are not pregnant; likewise, the malware either did or did not get quarantined in time.

Any help you can give would be great. I do know that this relates to format of the internal code and structure of the file. Through the download trial and error method, I believe that this computer is configured as a 32 bit system; I may have actually confimed that through somewhere that the Start-Search took me shortly after I started putting this system up (19Aug08). However, in looking at something arrived at by that most powerful crutch of a Start-Search routine, heck if I can remember what let alone where, I saw a bunch of "64's". I'm thinking that I was seeing ADM 64 which would be something relating to the CPU chip. Ok, this computer was a gift and while I didn't have to do the research on what to buy, I also don't have an annotated list of the components in both tech and people talk. - My thought was that considering the issues, let alone figuring out how to find out, of a 32bit s/w config on what is basically a 64 bit system would wait a couple of months and certainly after all of the s/w & h/w were installed. Learning how to play with the registry files wasn't top on my list either yet, it's now moved to a top priority.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:54 AM

Lot's of questions to be answered - but most important are those about the infection. If malware has invaded your system, it's possible that it's done things to prevent the working of some anti-malware programs. As AdAware is one of the more popular, it's one of those that's targeted the most.

FWIW - a computer with a 64 bit processor can run either 32 or 64 bit Windows (which then affects what programs you can run). But a computer with a 32 bit processor can only run 32 bit Windows and programs (disregarding the older 16 and 8 bit applications)

Since the malware is the most important thing right now, I'm going to move this over to the Am I Infected forum. You can get some more expert assistance over there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users