Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broke Something During New Build?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Poopmonkey

Poopmonkey

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:00 AM

I just recently built my first computer from scratch. Ordered the parts from Newegg and got to work assembling the whole contraption. This wasn't my first experience with computer parts but merely the first time completely putting together a computer. After attaching my MoBo to the chasis, I went installing my CPU + Heat Sink. The CPU obviously slid right into place, and I attached the heat sink, thermal paste pre-applied. However, I had a lot of trouble getting the heat sink to seat properly. The stupid plastic "screws" were a pain in the a*s to adjust and it took a while to get, however eventually I got it in. I than added the memory, video card, and mounted my HDD and DVD drive. I attached all of the necessary things to the MoBo and PSU and tried booting my computer up for the first time. However, when i booted it, I heard no beep codes, no BIOS was displayed on my screen, but the fans were all running. The MoBo clearly had power, CPU heat sink fan had power, video card had power, but no BIOS. I thought right away something might be wrong with the processor so to check I slipped in my old processor from my working computer. I tried to boot it up again with no avail. So i decided to slip my old processor back into my old comp. However, the peculiar thing is my own computer wouldn't start! I know that there is a risk involved in not wearing an anti-static wristband, however i don't own one and thought i'd be alright. Is there a chance I blew both of my processors by merely handling and transferring them?

Computer Specs:

Asus PSQ SE/R MoBo
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor
nVidia GeForce 9600GT Video Card
2x1g Gskill Memory
Raidmax Smilodon case
Raidmax 500w PSU

If you need any more information please don't hesitate to ask! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Note: Yes I have the 20 an 4 pin ATX power plugs plugged into the MoBo.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:28 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Situations like the one you describe...seem to be more commonplace each day (I had one myself a couple of months ago).

In my case, it was bent CPU pins...in some others, it has (seemingly) had nothing to do with the CPU.

This is the best that I can offer, No POST - No Video - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml

Louis

#3 Poopmonkey

Poopmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

Turns out it was just an unplugged pin, foolish me. Thanks for the suggestions and link though! Issue solved

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users