Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Figure Out What Great Free Tool I Used To Have

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alpha_mare

alpha_mare

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:38 PM

Hi--
I had a great spyware blocker, registry repair tool that totally fixed a bunch of problems. It fixed a problem with my system restore service not running, correctly dealt with registry issues, fixed my systtray and made sure my virus software was running. It was the best tool I had ever used. I can't remember the name. I thought I downloaded it from an ad on this sight, but I didn't apparently. It was a terrific tool. Can anyone help me with this?

Also, my systray icon for Norton 360 isn't showing up as a Phototag cd from a digital concepts camera infected me with trojan.maliframe!html and Norton 360 is too lame to fix it. After four hours on the phone speaking to five different people, I'm trying to get this repaired. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

I can reciprocate on programming, UNIX admin and Oracle DBA and PL/SQL Oracle web application server issues.

I just never wanted to work on PCs because of alll this kind of stuff.

Thanks for any help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:38 AM

Also, my systray icon for Norton 360 isn't showing up as a Phototag cd from a digital concepts camera infected me with trojan.maliframe!html and Norton 360 is too lame to fix it. After four hours on the phone speaking to five different people, I'm trying to get this repaired. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

Let's move you to Am I Infected and get this taken care of first
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 alpha_mare

alpha_mare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:26 PM

Thanks garmanma--

I'm under the impression I'm okay now. I checked the registry per an internet post at Symantec, but anything there would have run thanks to my initial crash and if the programmer was smart, would have cleaned itself up. I don't know. Anyway, I found nothing in the registry, stopped system restore, ran a complete Norton scan. rebooted in safe mode (since the instructions recommended scanning in safe mode) but Norton wouldn't run on my PC in safe mode, lovely. Anyway, still no icon. Downloaded Glary, ran some of the utilities and registry cleanup and got my icon back. I couldn't find where the icon was "disabled" and it would be nice to know. The processes were always running. I just don't like systray problems. Oh, and I did fully power down and leave it powered off for a while, as I contemplated tossing it against the wall, before I rebooted. All this after hanging up really mad at Norton "techs" who wouldn't even answer a question about which exceptions to remove to make sure I scanned my restore files. I was on the phone with them for over two hours, they loaded a bunch of crap on my pc and left it vulnerable. Then they had the nerve to ask me for 99.00 USD to fix a problem because their software was lame. I was up all night too mad to sleep determined to fix this. Now I suppose they want me to fill out a survey. All time worst customer care, would have fired them all. Absolutely useless and a fraud. Will not renew.

I'm not sure if Glary was the tool I had. I really liked that it fixed a bunch of things that PC illiterates like me wouldn't know how, services that might be disabled, systray problems, etc. I was spending a ton of time trying to figure out what Glary just fixed, I guess. It could have been Norton too. Oh, I ran a pctools online scan too, to get another opinon, which only came up with tracking cookies.

I'm under the impression I'm virus free now, though who knows. My pc is behaving properly and Norton hasn't detected anything beyond tracking cookies from online usage. I'd like to know of any good free pc repair tools. I was using spybot for a long time, my son still uses it with panda, but I got really infected running the last version with panda from internet use. Don't know how or which was to blame.

Thanks for any help you can give on making sure I'm done with this. I hope my restore files are okay. I still don't know what exceptions to remove and the third escalation Norton tech didn't even know what I was talking about.

Edited by alpha_mare, 08 September 2008 - 07:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users