Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Bleeping Vent

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marcia98360

Marcia98360

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:23 PM

Actually, I'm learning a lot more about my system in a shorter amount of time than I was looking forward to. Long after I learned how to actually install and uninstall, I did learn how to "get there" without typing "Control Panel" in the Start Search routine. I learned the term "safe mode" as the Microsoft tech and I were returning the system to "standard mode". Still, I know what "safe mode" conceptually but not quite what all it entails or which of the things the first tech and I did that got us there; I do know that I did do more than just put the computer into "safe mode". I do know that my USB ports checked out ok, and that the connectivity problems were reduced with the new and upgraded wireless card. And hey, yesterday all on my own I did discover that I had multiple "modems" installed according to the computer; I've since removed them all, uninstalled the s/w, reinstalled the s/w (just one more time, I can do this one with a groan and full confidence now) - and all of this latest on my own.

I did manage to pick up 7 malware on my own too. Of course, following a potential solution trail is what led me to this site. It looks like my new learning curve project will be covering the subject of registries, the realities of worms and other uglies, and getting my system back to "normal. In the mean while, this is my third time to try to post. At least this time when I lost connectivity, I didn't lose my post. At this point, who knows if I'm not quite as quarantined as my security software says I am, if I'm still having mobile card system problems, or if I have some otherwize unknown config conflict.

Someday, somewhere over the rainbow - I'll get my productivity s/w out and installed. Its been years since I've actually used some of those products - boy, installation, configuration, and acutally producing a document sounds like another series of learning curves. Once I figure out a functional directory/folder and subdirectory system, I may be able to take and download all of those pictures I've been evisioning sending to relatives about the country; if they're still alive by the time I get to that point!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:38 PM

Marcia, welcome to Bleeping Computer.
We've all had our learning curves. Mine started the day I had to ask my then 17 year old son how to open the laptop (my first real computer). Then I had to ask him how to turn it on.

As you do more things, as you learn more, your confidence will increase.
Don't be shy about asking questions, even if they seem silly to you.
To help you along, BC has some wonderful tutorials.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/6/tutorials/

#3 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:38 AM

Welcome to BC!

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:41 AM

Everyone of us has gone through a similar learning curve. Many have learned "on their own" or by trial and error (mostly the latter), and over a long period of time. Thanks to the friendly Members here, however, you can learn much faster, and without making those costly mistakes. Never hesitate to post a question here, or to ask for help with a problem you are having.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users