Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Optical Drive Replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cabowen21

cabowen21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

I am trying to replace the optical drive (DVD/CD burner ) in my Dell XPS M140 laptop. I ordered a new slimline drive from Newegg.com to replace the old one. My question regards the connection on the back of the drive. Newegg's site lists the 2 slim drives they have available as "Sata" connections. I assumed this was standard. It apparantly is not. I have got both drives in front of me and the connection on the back of the new one is different than the old one. The old one goes straight across while the new one has a break in the middle and two pieces that make a ninety degree turn down. It will not plug into my laptop. I have tried to identify via pictures what type of connection this is but have had no luck. HELP!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerFixz

ComputerFixz

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

Ok so my guess is that you bought this new drive from newegg and there is capability issues? The connections are totally different....now did newegg happen to mention what notebooks this was for or do you happen to have a link to the product? My suggestion would be to see if newegg will let you return it (they always were good with me) and see if you can buy one from there or ebay.

I just happened to find three from ebay one rather cheap which is just a CD-ROM drive, a DVD burner etc..for about 80ish...Also a CD-R for pretty cheap.

DVD Drive $79

CD-ROM Drive $11.99

CD-R Drive $20

This all should be compatable with your notebook as well.

Edited by ComputerFixz, 05 September 2008 - 08:27 PM.

#3 cabowen21

cabowen21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

My question is really about the connector on the back.. Arent these supposed to be standard connections ?

#4 ComputerFixz

ComputerFixz

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

Well I would assume so but there are some computers out there that are built differently so they need different connections. Was it a special drive you bought or a normal notebook cd drive?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:15 PM

Yes. IDE was the old standard and SATA is the new one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 cabowen21

cabowen21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:20 AM

is there somewhere I can look at a picture of each connector to make sure what I have?

#7 ComputerFixz

ComputerFixz

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

Ok this is a normal IDE drive connection

IDE Connection

And this is a SATA connection (see picture on bottom)

Now either you will need a refund or you can get one of these I assume

SATA IDE universal connector

Attached Files

Edited by ComputerFixz, 06 September 2008 - 08:52 AM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:55 AM

Here you go
http://www.directron.com/patasata.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 cabowen21

cabowen21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

Thanks... This has been a really helpful experience... I am definately going to come back to this site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users