Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building Comp Questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerFixz

ComputerFixz

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

Ok well I am currently looking to build a new computer to replace my notebook. I am looking to build a nice fast gaming pc with some nice specs and what not and my current price range is 0 <-(lol) - 1500$. Now I always get my pieces and parts from newegg.com....now I have no idea what graphics card to get though because they don't sell Nvedia...only some 3V3A ( I believe) brand...I know nothing about that brand either. I am also going to be building this in a rather large computer case...possibly one like this...CASE..so saying I give it like 4gb of ram and nice graphics card (Possibly able to handle CoD4 etc) how much will this cost? I want to go windows xp and possibly a motherboard built by ASUS or Intel. I also would like to go with this CPU Proccessor if possible...Intel...any ideas on how much this project will cost me? Possibly under 1,500? I mean I want a gaming pc but nothing like alienware due to the fact their pcs can run upwards of 12grand.

Also this is a desktop build if I didn't mention before :thumbsup:

Edited by ComputerFixz, 05 September 2008 - 07:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

Newegg does sell NVidia cards, I've bought two from them. Your case is a mid-tower, typical desktop size. An ATX full-tower case will allow for the largest components, such as the newer graphics cards, but is often more expensive and heavier. If you go with 4 GB or more of RAM, you will need a 64-bit OS to use all of it. Windows XP 64-bit is not that great, it has compatibility issues. Vista 64-bit is much better at 64-bit than XP. Graphics cards can be cheap to insanely expensive, especially if you decide to SLI or Crossfire the cards. Your motherboard will determine if you get to use SLI or Crossfire. The CPU selected has a great value, stick with it. I suggest getting the ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA motherboard, keeping the same CPU, and a DIAMOND 4870PE5512OC Radeon HD 4870 (Or, if you have lots of money the DIAMOND 4870X2PE52G Radeon HD 4870 X2). The motherboard I chose allows for up to 8 GB of RAM, consider getting as much as you can. Next, you need a PSU to power the thing. The CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W comes highly recommended.

3939.png

#3 ComputerFixz

ComputerFixz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

Ah ok I think I will stick with your selections :thumbsup: Never knew xp 64 bit had capability issues. That Diamond graphics card look really nice :huh: Although may hurt my wallet for a lil bit lol....I will test this build out and I like that motherboard as well :huh:. Don't know when I can begin my project but hopefully soon. Did I make a good choice in the case size or would something larger be better? I only chose it because others said it was quite large and the fans inside were really good....now for the ram...I was thinking Kingston...but then I saw Nvedia...what is your opinion...I was leaning towards kingston because they are pretty good and the price isn't so bad.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

Nvidia does not make RAM for motherboards. Going with Kingston or Corsair for memory is a good idea. If you're planning on using the new graphics cards, or even the newer motherboards designed for full-ATX cases, you should consider a full-ATX case. Some mid-tower cases might be able to contain a G280, but most will not. Often, the hard drive enclosure or cage gets in the way. For a full-ATX tower, I suggest the Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS or the COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP. These cases are sturdy and have plenty of room to upgrade, but they are more expensive.

3939.png

#5 ComputerFixz

ComputerFixz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

Alright then :huh: I will go with the Cooler Master then...I did happen to see that case before but never actually looked at it :thumbsup:

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

I rather like the Cooler Master design, it has a sleek and powerful design to it. Now all you need is an optical drive and hard disks. Also, consider getting an aftermarket cooler for your CPU, they just cool better. The ZALMAN 9500A comes highly recommended. I use the Zalman, it's quiet and efficient.

3939.png

#7 ComputerFixz

ComputerFixz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:46 PM

Ah ok I will surely look into that fan then :thumbsup: I was also looking at a 1 TB hard drive so it can hold a lot of games and what not without having to constantly uninstall. Also some blueray Cd drives and what not :huh:

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:39 PM

Are you going to be using this PC to watch Blu-Ray movies? You can also burn Blu-Ray discs, although the discs are expensive. Here's a suggestion, having two hard drives is a good idea. Have one with Windows and a few applications on it and the other with media such as music, videos, games, etc. If the drive that has Windows were to fail or need to be reformatted, your media will be protected.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users