Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Laptop Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

Picked up a Compaq armada e500 at a garage sale for ten bucks. When I start it it has a user name and password window pop up and of course I do not know what that would be. I was not expecting much of anything to work and just wanted somthing to tinker with. However, I would like to be able to use it for websurfing, email etc. Question is, is there a program of some kind that would allow me to work around the password or if I could somehow get a new windows 2000 pro, which is what the operating system is, could i just put it in the cd rom and install it over the old operating system? Any pointers would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:03 AM

Assuming you're talking about a BIOS password, you can try and clear it by taking out the CMOS battery for 15 minutes it might clear it out. A password for the OS would probably be considered hacking here so not going to get into that...Google it if that's what you need to do or wait for another reply (hint: "bypass and password" might be good keywords)
But yes, if you have an OS disk of any sort really you can reformat the harddrive and start fresh with whatever OS you happen to have, assuming the computer can run it. if you don't have a windows disk, there are quite a few linux distributions out there (free) that are pretty user friendly that have really low system requirements. Since you're tinkering anyway might as well learn something new right :thumbsup:

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:50 PM

Per forum rules

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Sorry but the topic is closed
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users