Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Failure After Converting To Dynamic Disks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trouble99

trouble99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

Ok here's my story,

I was attempting to convert my basic disks to dynamic disks to consolidate space, and tc create several logical volumes across 2 Physical HDs.

The conversion went fine and I was able to configure my volumes as I wanted. When I went to restart, BLAMO Boot failure and I was thrown into a BASH prompt. WTF!?!?!?

I am using a modded version of Vista Ultimate 32 bit. 2 500 gb WD hard disks partitioned in to 3 volumes across both discs. These are not spanned stripped, mirrored, or RAID-5. I realize in hindsight that I should have left things alone, but now I have to recover as much data as possible.

I have already tried to reinstall windows and at first it looked like it worked until restart and I was thrown back into the same BASH prompt. This is driving me crazy. With the reinstall I've lost a serious amount of data (about 200gb) most of that was not as important as whats still there.

How can I get the computer to a bootable state without wiping an entire Disk? Any help is appreciated..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

Just a couple of guesses on my part:

Try Startup Repair ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/ )

Try a boot disk (such as a Live Linux distribution or the Ultimate Boot CD) to see if you can read the volumes.

Edited by usasma, 05 September 2008 - 05:51 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 trouble99

trouble99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

Yea, I went to try system repair but it appears that that was one of the options taken out of the modded OS. From what I can gather the bash promp was what replaced it. I guess I'm about to get a crash course in advanced linux console commands.

I tried a utility called TestDisk and it can read the partitions but even some of that programs gurus are finding my scan results strange. I'm DLing KNOPPIX right now which is a linux live recovery cd.

This is truly a disaster and I'll make sure to document the process. Leave it to a certified tech to totally brick a streamlined system with 3 clicks.

If any of you guys are familiar with BASH or Linux recovery I would seriously appreciate any guidance you may have to offer.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:29 AM

I learned about computers by breaking them :huh:
And was lucky to have techs who'd explain what they did to fix it.
It sounds like you've got a good plan - post back with any quirks and we'll see what we can figure out.
Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:36 AM

Hi

Have you tried BartPE?
It's a Windows based boot disk (not Linux) and the disk tool is very similar to Windows Explorer.
Follow this link for further details. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
The program required to make the BartPE boot disk is available as a free download. However, you will also need a genuine copy of Windows XP SP2 or above. If your version of Windows is below this, there is an article on how to construct a bootdisk for the early versions of XP.
I think this is a must have tool and would recommend it to everyone.
Steve

#6 trouble99

trouble99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hi

Have you tried BartPE?
It's a Windows based boot disk (not Linux) and the disk tool is very similar to Windows Explorer.
Follow this link for further details. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
The program required to make the BartPE boot disk is available as a free download. However, you will also need a genuine copy of Windows XP SP2 or above. If your version of Windows is below this, there is an article on how to construct a bootdisk for the early versions of XP.
I think this is a must have tool and would recommend it to everyone.

I love BartPE!!! unfortunately I'm running Vista and BartPE doesn't play nice.

What I've accomplished so far is Rewriting The partition table, re-building the MBR, and actually converting Disk 0 back to a basic disk with no data loss (testdisk worked a miracle, microsoft said it couldn't be done) Now I have a 50 gb bootable partition that I can re-install the OS on. If thaT fails im just going to put a new HD in the system and install the OS on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users