Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Switch?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Diabovixen

Diabovixen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

Alright so I recently moved my Entire system to a new Case. (it was a used case but it was sturdier for the car ride to college.)

However When I went to start up the system it failed to start.
I tried the usual methods (One stick of ram, Unplugging Hard drives and DVD Drives) Nothing worked until I tried to short the Power Switch with a screw driver. and Alas the system started up fine. I could even hook it up to the monitor and everything worked fine. But I can't Use a PC that I have to open up, Short and Close back up.

So I was just wondering if anyone knew what could be causing this issue? I'm looking at the Case's Power Switch as the culprit which seems to be the only logically choice, however how can this be repaired because right now I have no access to another case?
Thanks for your help guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

Any chance at all you crossed up your connections, ie led power indicator/hard drive activity indicator in place of your power switch? Otherwise, you hit the nail on the head. If the switch won't close momentarily when it is pressed, it needs to be replaced. If you have a reset switch on the current case, you can hook it up to the power connector in place of the power switch. Same type of switch.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

You need an ATX push-button power switch. You can getit easily from any local computer repair shop, electric repair shop etc. The switch comes with a connector and cable. The connecter your fit on the specified motherboard pins. It would cost anywhere between $2 to $5 depending on venders and quality.

One of the wires on the cable would be white and other colored. Be careful to plug the conncetor correctly seeing the color of wires in the cable. The colored wire always holds positive polarity.

Here are some links :
http://www.pccables.com/03201.htm
http://www.directron.com/atxswitch.html

Hope it helps you out.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:07 PM

Remove the old switch first (if it is indeed bad) and compare it to what was posted above. Power switches are not standardized to any real extent (ie Enermax cases). Polarity is not important with power/reset switches so don't worry about which way it plugs in.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

One of the wires on the cable would be white and other colored. Be careful to plug the conncetor correctly seeing the color of wires in the cable. The colored wire always holds positive polarity.

This is a momentary switch, and is a series connection which means that both wires will carry only the one potential, there isn't a positive and negative connection to this switch.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users