Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Startup And Background Messed Up

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lifter2012

Lifter2012

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

Hello everyone, just to let ya know you guys helped me get rid of some serious malware on mine and my cousins computer just by searching for the problem via google, i found this board and the solution.

Anyway, I have a new problem! Haha. My brother has a Dell Inspiron E1705 that he stopped using a while ago because he probably caught some bug and didn't know how to fix it, so he gave up using it and it sat for a while. He then thought if he went out and bought a new Windows XP disc that he could reload everything and it would be all right (which of course I and everyone knows not always works.) I just finished activating his new Windows XP cd today and everything looks good. But the same problem before we did any of this steps exists and i'll show you. I just did run Malwarebytes and found nothing, because the computer has nothing on it since he reinstalled Windows XP.

Here's a screenshot I just took, a little hard to see but theres blue (look like equal signs) all over the desktop.
Posted Image

And here's 2 pics i took of it starting up.
Posted Image

Posted Image

So does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Well...I guess I don't see anything wrong with the first graphic. The background appears to be set for "center" rather than "stretch" (which is what to use for small pics which you want to cover the whole desktop).

The backgrounds of the other two pics remind of indications of either RAM or graphics card problems. Since I've never had graphics card problems, it must remind me of some screens which showed when I received a bad RAM module from Crucial.

How much RAM installed? How many different modules?

Probably best to wait for more inputs from others.

Louis

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

I would try to re-install the graphics driver. Download at dell support. Might be internal loose cable to display, or damaged hardware.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#4 Lifter2012

Lifter2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

1.00 GB of RAM

just tried downloading and installing the graphics driver from Del, says computer doesn't have the minimum requirements for it or something to that nature? My friend thinks it may be possible a bad ribbon cable from the screen or bad hardware. :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

That doesn't make any sense...what is the exact error message you received?

The only way that you should get a message like that is if you tried to download the wrong driver...and even then it should download, but not install.

Louis

#6 Lifter2012

Lifter2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

Error I get says: This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software. Setup will exit.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hmmm...related situation: http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums...hreadId=1188143

Guess I'd like to know...oops, I see it's a laptop.

What is the graphics chip installed? It seems that many options were available.

Louis

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

Could it be overheating? Try blowing out the vents with a can of compressed air (not a vacuum cleaner or high pressure air - that'll mess up the system).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Lifter2012

Lifter2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:09 PM

Nope not overheating. Found a guy with the same problem i am having in this thread on another forum:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=114553

Edited by Lifter2012, 08 September 2008 - 07:48 PM.

#10 Lifter2012

Lifter2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

Took this screenshot today of the device manager

Posted Image

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:07 AM

I had seen artifacts like this on a screen (once, a long time ago) when a graphics card died as I was working on the system.
The last screen shot indicates that you don't have a driver for your Display Adapter (video card) and that there's an unknown PCI device.

To troubleshoot these, right click on each one, select Properties, then select the Details tab, and then scroll down the list to find Hardware ID.
There should be a set of numbers and letters there, we'll need the 4 characters after the VEN_ and the 4 characters after the DEV_
If that's not there, copy the whole first line for us to have a look at.

We'll look up the info (using those characters) at http://www.pcidatabase.com to determine what the devices are.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Lifter2012

Lifter2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

You guys are the best for taking the time to help out!! Here's 2 screenshots of what was asked for:

First, the video controller:
VEN_10DE
DEV_0298
Posted Image

Second is the pci device:
VEN_8086
DEV_27D8
Posted Image

Edited by Lifter2012, 09 September 2008 - 11:09 AM.

#13 Lifter2012

Lifter2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:12 AM

I'm starting to think it is hardware problem :thumbsup:

Also, when I'm trying to scroll and drag like a big picture across the screen, its lagging like crazy (if that makes sense)

Edited by Lifter2012, 09 September 2008 - 11:13 AM.

#14 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

Hi mate.

From the Hardware Ids you gave. Your Video card belongs to NVIDIA and Savage MX/IX/MX+MV/IX+MV Chip description.

http://www.s3graphics.com/en/resources/dri...are_archive.jsp Here is the link for the drivers and install the correct one for yours.

And the other one is Intel Microsoft UAA Bus HD Audio.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CAR...ion-Audio.shtml

Check these if they work.

Good luck :thumbsup:

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:15 PM

Your video card is dying that is why it is artifacting. You need to get it replaced if you can, and if you can't time for a new computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users