Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Mix Different Cards In Sli-mode?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 downhill_biker

downhill_biker

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:16 PM

I currently have a EVGA nVidia 8800GTS 320MB and was thinking of buying another card. Can I just add another card into my motherboard and get it to work. I was looking at a 8000 or 9000 series 512MB card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:39 PM

From the amount of what I have read, the answer is maybe. It would be best to read both cards specifications and maybe even emailing tech support and ask
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:56 PM

In order to be able to SLI, you need two or more cards with the same graphics core such as G80, G92, etc. You can mix and match cards with the same core, but the speed of the cards will default to the clocks of the slowest card. For best results, you should use the same card in all slots.

3939.png

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

In order to be able to SLI, you need two or more cards with the same graphics core such as G80, G92, etc. You can mix and match cards with the same core, but the speed of the cards will default to the clocks of the slowest card. For best results, you should use the same card in all slots.

This is what I've read. With ATI's new generation Crossfire cards I believe you can mix different GPU's. With SLI though you can use cards by different manufacturers, but the GPU's must be the same.
Posted Image

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

What everyone stated is correct. To do SLI, you would need another 8800GTS 320mb or 640mb. The thing is since you already have a 320mb version, a 640mb version would be a waste because it would only detect it as a 320mb card also.

With ATI, the 3850, 3870, 4850, and 4870 are all interchangeable in crossfire because they are very similar chips, and use the same drivers.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users