Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia Control Panel Fails To Open, Windows Firewall Disabled, System Restore Disabled

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 swiN

swiN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

Operating system : XP (32-bit) Home edition

Hi, only recently have I been having these problems. I've run all of the malware removal software you've suggested but with no results. I've updated windows and tried conventional methods of re-enabling Windows firewall through control panel and/or services. Two of the error messages I get while trying to activate the firewall are as follows.

1. Double-clicking firewall under control panel yields...
- Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running, would you like to start the windows firewall (ICS) service?
>>Yes<<
-Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall (ICS) service.

2. Starting Windows Firewall from services
- Could not start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS)service on local computer.
Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

My second problem involves my nvidia control panel failing to open (I'm not sure if this may be related). I've removed all nvidia drivers and re-installed the most current chipset, and GPU drivers. Upon launch I receive an error message stating that nvidia control panel has encountered a problem and "needs to close" followed by the options to either send an error report or not (you know the drill).

A third problem I'm having not stated in the topic title but almost definitely relevant is the inability to created system restore points. To make matters worse, there are no current restore points available for me to access.

- System restore is unable to create a new restore point, please restart the computer and run system restore again. (doesn't help)

With that said, here's my HijackThis log. Hopefully someone could shed some insight on my problem(s) but if not I've learned a lot from your site anyhow and thank you for the useful information.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if you require any other information and i'll pass it on.

Thanks again,

swiN

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:02 AM

I apologize for the very long delay. We have a huge backlog of HijackThis Logs to handle and it has been taking us greater time than normal to get caught up. If you are still having a problem, and want us to analyze your information, please reply to this topic stating that you still need help and I will work with you on resolving your computer problems. If your problem has been resolved, please post a reply letting us know so we can close your topic.

Unfortunately, if I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will be forced to close your topic. If you still need help after I have closed your topic, feel free to create a new one.

Once again, I apologize for the delay in responding to this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users