Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Programs On Windows Server 2003

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

Here's the deal...we have a Dell PowerEdge 2850 server that we use to control traffic signals and cameras around the city and earlier someone from Atlanta tried to install Service Pack 2 but through remote desktop connection. I found how to fix this through dell's website and got everything booted back up, but someone tried to fix it before me and started a windows install, so basically i had to install windows all over again.

So now i have a clean install of windows but all my files and everything are still intact...just wanted to see if anybody knows if there is a way to restore all our original programs back into the start menu, or maybe if there is a program that can do it we do not mind paying for it.

I'm not sure if when you reinstall windows if it like deletes all the old registry files or not, but basically we have everything in C:\Program Files\ still there, but nothing in the start menu or on the desktop...any help would be much appreciated!!

Oh yeah, we are running Windows Server 2003

Thanks!!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:47 PM

Unfortunately your registry is gone and any programs that rely on registry entries probably wont work properly and will need to reinstall everything, but i would backup your current program files folder to get the old settings out, your old desktop will be in c:\Documents and Settings\username\desktop(username is likely administrator), and if the new profile is named the same it will be c:\Documents and Settings\username.001\desktop (likely administrator.001).

Unless of course you have a full backup of your system from the day before and you would be better off copying off what you have and then restoring the backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users