Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Disabled

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Neths62

Neths62

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:41 AM

We have a Compaq desktop which has been having problems over the last week. Despite Norton 360 indicating no viruses, virus infection notices have come from Windows, as well as pop-ups suggesting solutions - but as we can't get on the internet....

When it is powered up, it goes through the start procedure to the welcome screen, then the desktop (blue background) for a split second, then to white screen but showing the desktop icons.

At this point, a panel comes up with the heading; "Active desktop recovery". The panel goes onto say "Microsoft windows has experienced an unexpected error. As a precaution, your Active Desktop has been turned off. To restore, use the following troubleshooting tips"

We've tried these, but none work, and then another panel comes up;

Internet Explorer script error,an error has occured in the script on this page.
Line :65
Characters: 1
Error: Object doesnt support this action
Code: 0
Url : file://c:/documents%20and%20settings/compaqadministratorapplication%20data/microsoft/internet%20explorerdesktop:htl

Do you want to continue running this script yes/no.

If either one of these is selected, another panel comes up saying; "Antivirus 2008 has encountered a problem and needs to close"

The only way into the computer is to right click the start button, and access to documents etc is ok.

However, we cannot connect to the internet.

We have tried a system restore, but all the back dates are greyed out, and it says "No previous dates are available"

There is an icon in the bottom right of the taskbar that says "virus alert"

We have right clicked on the desktop and clicked properties, and a panel comes up saying "Your system administrator disabled the display control panel" - with an "ok" button underneath.

Any help would be appreciated

Neths

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:52 AM

I believe you are infected. I'll move you to the proper forum
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Neths62

Neths62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:41 AM

Thanks - looking forward to assistance!!

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:25 AM

Antivirus 2008 is a rogue malware scam, it's object is to get you to buy the product, for that they need 70$ from your credit card and internet access. Evidently norton's is interfering, too bad it didn't keep you from being infected so deeply.

Is there another computer and a usb drive or cdburner we can use to download some tools and try to fix the infected computer?

Can you access safe mode and even run a scan from there with norton's?

http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/safemodeboot.php

Edited by DaChew, 07 September 2008 - 07:26 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Neths62

Neths62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:35 AM

Chewy

Thanks for this, and we'll try to run a scan in safe mood this evening.

And yes, we can download tools on another pc and save on a memory stick or burn to disc. So, if you can point me in the right direction for these...

Many thanks

Neths

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=913677

this post uses subs flash disinfector

Use it to immunize the clean computer and any usb flash drive used, I am being very cautious here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=936618

this post tells how to download and install MBAM, be sure and catch the manual definition download reference

If you get this installed and can capture a log, the usb drive will transfer the log back to the clean computer, and that's why I wanted to immunize it

Good luck and keep us posted

there are several more tools but let's cross that bridge when we come to it

If Norton's seems to be getting in the way, I would suggest uninstalling it

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

Edited by DaChew, 08 September 2008 - 07:51 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users