Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vidio security Q

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:20 AM

prsario desktop I386
XP SP2

for reasons we dont need to go into, my front door is ajar 24/7.

i've been using my VCR, but that has low resolution when recording up to 10 hrs on extended play.

is ther a way i can visualy monitor, record, the door using my bare bones pc?
web cam, digital cam, soft ware (freeware), or......?

i have CD/R, but no DVD/R. i'd buy if needed. i have digi cam. and web cams i think go for under 20$ now.

suggestions would be appreciated.

ty,

igo

sorry if posted in incorrect forum.

Edited by igonuts2, 24 April 2005 - 01:22 AM.

Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:13 PM

bc,

it is in the wrong forum and needs to be moved to Audio and Vidio.

sorry

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:24 AM

Hi igo,

I don't have a specific answer but I know there is software you can load which enables you to use a webcam to monitor a particular scene (like your doorway) and only record if the scene changes (e.g. someone comes in the door). It records to the hard drive and normally there would only be a few minutes of video recorded each day. You can even set it to sound an alert or dial a particular number or auto upload the images to a web page. It's designed for people away on holidays who want to have security in their house while they're away.

I trialed it quite a while ago and can't remember what it was called.:thumbsup:

Is that the sort of thing you were looking for?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:52 AM

y y y y y

much better than what i was looking at (so far) on dl.com.

hard to tell what you get there. discriptions are brief.

i dont have a lot of disk or ram.

ty--off to surf dl.com.

ty rimmer

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:31 AM

I had a quick google and there seem to be hundreds of similar packages, here are three that look like the one I was talking about:

Digi-Watcher: http://www.digi-watcher.com/

WebCam Control Centre: http://www.crazypixels.com/wccc-feature.htm

Cam Wizard: http://www.sharewareconnection.com/cam-wizard.htm

I have NOT used these products and I don't know if they are security risks or not, maybe others can comment?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:13 AM

ty again rimmer,

i'll ck 'em out

went to the forum i should have posted to and found "video help.com". its a reply of tg1911's in Audio and Vidio forum. its a site much like bc. just registered there.

maybe you or someone could close this thread. if i need more help i'll be posting in the correct forum. i wouldnt want to be veiwed as multi-posting. i dont know, but i dont think posting the same problems in different forums would be a good thing to do.

ty rimmer and bc.

igo

weird, i dont have a history of visited web sites on IE. there gone! didnt delete anything.
anyway ty
igo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users