Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A New Reason For Crashing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 myris

myris

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

My main problem was listed here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry932296

And after help, I was able to remove Norton finally, but the crashes continue.

Last night, as per suggested, I ran the defrag and when I checked this morning, the puter hadn't crashed overnight, as it usually does, BUT...a new error message had popped up

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5512 szModName : unknown
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 0017ab02

C:\DOCUME~1\MARSHA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3889.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\MARSHA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3889.dir00\appcompat.txt

I know I said I was ready to give up but maybe this gives another clue???

Would it have something to do with the Win Service Pack 3 that I just installed? That was when the crashes started while in idle mode

Grammy M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

The easy thing would be to say..."Yes, SP3 caused your system problems."

That would probably be a lie...and it would be in total disregard of the fact that many system have installed SP3 without the slightest problem, during or afterwards.

I don't recall your ever providing any information on the system at hand...can we do that? Manufacturer and model?

Here is a basic list of users with problems who tried to make that SP3 connection...I suspect that looking at many of them would reveal that SP3 had nothing to do with the system problems that existed, but that's just my opinion.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=S...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

#3 myris

myris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:18 PM

*smiles* I was just trying to guess at possible reasons, not trying to blame the service pack

I "know" my problems started when I tried removing Norton the first time and its been nothing but headaches since. I should have just left the darned thing...but...alas...we live and learn.

The make is a Proteva (I'm in Canada) and I don't know where to find the model number.

But thank you

M

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

I am not trying to be humorous, but I think that you should read this link (which happened to be at the top of the Google list for "Proteva"): http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/proteva.htm

It might be time to start thinking about a clean install of XP which, if nothing else, gives you a good base to rebuild upon.

Louis

#5 myris

myris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

*sighs* great... So it could be the computer itself?

I'm not trying to be blonde or anything, but how does one do a "clean install of XP"? I have the disk. Do I just plunk it into the coffee holder and hit run? Will it erase everything on my hard drive? What about other software I have uploaded? Will any of that be affected?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:06 PM

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Bear in mind what a clean install is...everything currently on the C: partition will be wiped out.

Therefore, any user preparing for a clean install...must first make sure that all data files wanted are moved to another partition or system (temporarily). Must also move any emails, favorites, WAB, and cookies which might be desired for the new install. Must also know how to find drivers for the system hardware...these drivers are usually included on a CD which came with the system.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941 :

Method 4: Perform a clean install of Windows XP
A clean installation refers to removing all data from your hard disk by repartitioning and reformatting your hard disk and reinstalling the operating system and programs to an empty (clean) hard disk. You should back up all important information before you perform a clean installation of Windows XP.

For more information about important things to consider before you partition and format you hard disk and how to partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

313348 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348/) How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP

After you have backed up all important information, follow these steps to install Windows XP:
1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.
3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
4. Read the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then press F8.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.

I cannot say whether it's the computer system or not...I just thought that, as an owner of described brand of systems, you ought to be aware of that article.

I don't own any laptops, so I've never seen a troublesome system that could not be improved by a clean install of Windows. The hardware items which I've ever possessed which were defective...were not so troublesome that they could not be replaced and I really don't expect any computer part to outlast its warranty (although the vast majority of them do outlast such).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2008 - 04:11 PM.

#7 myris

myris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:26 PM

*sighs*

After reading through all that a "clean install" entails, once again I thank you for your time, but I can't see me doing that. And surely not if that isn't absolutely positively going to fix what's wrong.

*smiles*

Thanks anyway,

Grammy M

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:38 AM

I understand :thumbsup:.

I had my first computer for over a year...before I felt confident enough to even try doing a clean install with Win 98. Until I realized that it really was an easy task, I was content to take my system to a local shop and pay them $35 or so to do it :flowers:.

Learning and confidence come slowly...but they feed upon each other when they do come.

Louis

#9 myris

myris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

Hmmm.. Okay so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and not holding my breath, but my puter hasn't crashed in two whole days. woo hoo. haven't had the error messages coming up either so maybe...maybe something got tweaked inadvertently with all the rummaging around? In any case, thank you for your help *s*

Grammy M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users