Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying Tattoo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yowie

yowie

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:46 AM

Back in the days before sheep had wool, I purchased an Packard bell PC system, (I know, please excuse me for swearing), but all in all it has done me well without any issues. I purchased it back in 2000, I've maxed out the Gigabyte Mobo with 1 GB sdram pc133 ram and have a P4 2 GB CPU, 256 MB AGP. The hard drive however is only 40 GB, plenty for me. Over the years, I have punished this hard drive with countless formats and recoveries not to mention swapping tonnes of files. The other night SMART said that there were bad sectors and I needed to back up. I only had the chance to back just some of the stuff, (the main stuff anyway), my question is this....I know Packard Bell place a tattoo on the hard drive and in the bios, I went to copy the files onto a floppy....tattoo, exths but could not for the life of me find the required shell.dll that is needed when importing the tattoo to the new hard drive. Am at wits end as without the tattoo, the rest of the PC is useless. I do have the three recovery discs and the red floppy boot disk. I tried installing another drive but without the tattoo it will not recognise the drive because it doesn't match up. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Edited by yowie, 05 September 2008 - 07:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

Procedure covered here:
http://www.richardlindley.co.uk/pbtattoo.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 yowie

yowie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

I did follow this procedure step by step, but like I said, i could not for the life of me find the shelhs.dll anywhere.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

http://forum.packardbell.com/en/viewtopic....p;start=45&
and many more discussions

http://www.google.com/search?q=shelhs.dll+...lient=firefox-a
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users