Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Delete These Files?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stanf

stanf

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:19 AM

G'day people. Vista Premium SP1. I use Powerdesk 6 file manager .I have just found this info. on my hard disk.

C:\Users\Owner\Searches\Everywhere.search-ms\*.* has 33760 objects taking up
9.94G space which is a quarter of disk space free on the C drive. Can I safely delete this lot and free up some space? Thank you.
cheers stan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:14 AM

Hi Stan

I am not familiar with that app or location, but as it does not appear to have any relation to the operating system I would guess it would be safe to delete as that is a ridiculous amount of room to be taken up.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:39 PM

The location is the default area where Vista keeps searches - but on my Vista system there isn't anything for Everywhere.search-ms (although it does have an Everywhere category).

I'd suggest checking the contents of the files inside of that directory. That's an awful lot of searching to be stored on your hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 stanf

stanf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:09 AM

Thanks for your reply Usasma... it seems (when I use Windows explorer to look at things) that the directory C:\...\searches contains all the folders and files on my hard drive. As a test I deleted some files from C:\users\owner\searches and they were deleted from the hard drive. What the is going on , I wonder?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:47 AM

I'm not real familiar with the search function in Vista (actually, I hate it!) - but it seems that the results are some sort of link to the actual files/folders that you've searched for (probably for ease of access).

As with any deletions, I always suggest that the files in question be moved elsewhere. Then, if they turn out to be necessary, you can just move them back. If they're not needed in a couple of weeks, you can delete them to the Recycle Bin - where they'll hang out until they're forced out by other deletions (providing a bit more time to recover them - just in case).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

the directory C:\...\searches contains all the folders and files on my hard drive. As a test I deleted some files from C:\users\owner\searches and they were deleted from the hard drive. What the is going on , I wonder?

I'm not a Vista expert, but I gather that Vista saves searches in virtual folders, which "appear" to contain all the files which resulted from the search. A *.* search of the entire C: drive will naturally contain all the files on the drive. However all the files are still in their original locations. A virtual folder just contains pointers to the locations of the files, the same as the home folders that normally show those files as being in them.

So there's no space to be gained by trying to delete the files in the search folder, as they are actually the same files, just being shown grouped together differently. In fact deleting a file from here does delete the file from the hard drive, just like deleting it from its home folder would.

Think of it as the results window of a search being saved as a folder. The files shown in the search window occupy no extra space, but if you delete one, the actual file is deleted. A search folder is just that search saved, and behaves in the same way.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 stanf

stanf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

Thank you all for the input. I guess what is puzzling me is why every change i make, ie every time I save a file or a web page or whatever, it is automatically added to the C:\....\searches\everywhere folder and also to the next folder down which is c:\...\searches\indexed locations. I have unchecked the box in the C: properties which says index this drive. cheers stan

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users