Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Laptop Takes 2 Mins To Startup And Is Really Slow Suddenly!..pls Help Fast

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Shihan_vista

Shihan_vista

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:51 AM

My Compaq Presario C700 w/ Windows Vista Home Basic processed by Intel Celeron with a RAM of 1 GB is suddenly become really slow...it takes around 3 mins to startup and I had been attacked by Trojan.Win32. But thanks to Bleeping Computer that trojans gone...after that it was ok, my laptop was running well...then again after 3 weeks after virus cleaning, its become really slow....even wen im typing this post, its getting stuck.....nd suddenly ma hdd space is quicky reducing!!...from 63 gb it came to 48 now in abt 3 weeks!!....I need quick help plz!!...plz reply fast!

Edited by Shihan_vista, 05 September 2008 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

Hello Shihan_vista and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

Sorry about the delayed response. We are all volunteers here and sometimes things slip past us.

I have moved your topic from the VISTA forums to the Am I Infected forum where it can get the attention it deserves. The fact that your memory space is vanishing points to an infection.

Regarding the issue of slowness: Please go through the following guide and let us know what effect that has on your system: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

Please tell us what security programs you have installed.
------------
------------
For future reference: The topic titled "Haven't had a reply in 5 days?" is only for posting links to HiJack This topics that haven't received a response.

You may wish to peruse the New User Orientation forum. I sometimes still go there to find out how to do things on BC. :trumpet:

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Shihan_vista

Shihan_vista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:46 AM

Hey OrangeBlossom! Thanks for your reply, was waiting long for it!

I have Webroot SpySweeper v5.8.1.55 and Kaspersky Internet Security 8.0.0.454(2009) running parallel.

I had been affected by Trojan.Win32...something(which Windows Defender detected) and BC recommended Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and that solved that issue(thankfully)! Then I got 13 GB of space after cleaning! My total free space was then 63GB.

Only after that I installed both Kaspersky and SpySweeper. It was alright for sometime, but then again suddenly my space decreased by 13-14GB. It's always around 49 and 50GB of free space now. And even my CPU usage increased to 80-83%! I was totally freaked out! My laptop takes 3 minutes to startup and the system is really slow now. The only word that comes to my mind now is "BC, HELP!". :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:45 AM

Only after that I installed both Kaspersky and SpySweeper. It was alright for sometime, but then again suddenly my space decreased by 13-14GB. It's always around 49 and 50GB of free space now. And even my CPU usage increased to 80-83%!

Temporarily disable SpySweeper and see how your pc performs without it running. You can overkill your system with resource heavy security programs that will drain your resources and slow down performance. Sometimes you have to experiment with other security programs to get the right combo for your particular system as there is no universal solution that works for everyone.

Also for more detailed suggestions, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Shihan_vista

Shihan_vista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

Hey quiteman7! Thanks for your help.

The problem now is even though I disabled SpySweeper, the Physical Memory usage has only decreased by 1%(from 79% to 78%) which i guess, knowing my computer, will go back to 79%.

Besides, I have a few questions. First a fall, if I disable SpySweeper, I don't think i will be completely protected, because SpySweeper is the program finding out the threats in my system and Kaspersky is only finding out threats when I scan my system. And my Kaspersky takes actually 9-10 hours to complete a full scan! And I don't know how to quarantine the threats that Kaspersky detects so i moved it to the quarantine folder. Please tell me how to solve these problems. Could you please recommend me few of the best Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware combinations, free or to pay, because I don't mind paying for good system security. I know different people think differently but at least tell me what you think.

And by the way I ran full scans in Safe mode as BC admins suggested and MBam and SpySweeper returned with zero threats but Kaspersky detected 3. But I can't quarantine them! HELP! Thanks!

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

Kaspersky Internet Security 8

the most effective and complete protection of a computer from all sorts of electronic threats - malicious programs, hacker attacs and spam

File Size: 35,850 KB

2 reviewers reported drastic slowdown of their computers

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Kaspe...ty/1110196590/1

With a single core economy (cpu) and only a gig of ram(part of that is shared for video) and trying to run Vista I am assuming kasp is the straw breeaking the camel's back

EDIT Did you have the trial for nortons' 2008 installed? Did you remove it with the special uninstaller before loading 2009?

edit changed norton's to kasp

Edited by DaChew, 20 September 2008 - 06:24 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

Kaspersky detected 3. But I can't quarantine them! HELP! Thanks!

What specific files is Kaspersky detecting and where are they located (full file path)?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Shihan_vista

Shihan_vista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:27 AM

DaChew, yes I had a pre-installed trial version of NIS 2008, which I removed using the Norton Removal Tool. Then I installed Norton 360, again I uninstalled it with the Norton Removal Tool. So no traces of Symantec anymore.

Quiteman7, Kaspersky detected the following:

1. Type: Vulnerability; [http://www.viruslist.com/en/advisories/30832]; Detected; Very Dangerous.
File Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\plug_ins\Annots.api

2. Type: Undefined; Added by User
File Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\java.exe

3. Type: Undefined; Clean
File path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS3\browser\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x--x-

Thanks for replying everyone. And by the way today's my birthday so I hope I'll get some good help and get this issue resolved. :thumbsup:

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:37 AM

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry728136

These are vulnerabilities. you just need to update those programs

according to the kasp expert

I figured as much
Chewy

#10 Shihan_vista

Shihan_vista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

How do I update it? What about my other problems? Did I mention my slow Internet ever since as well?

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:34 PM

Security programs slow the internet and your computer

Sometimes you have to experiment with other security programs to get the right combo for your particular system

Chewy

#12 Shihan_vista

Shihan_vista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:59 AM

Sorry for the delayed reply!

Yeah so tell me which one you think would be the best.!

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:15 AM

These kinds of remaining problems are challenging, but not really the focus of this forum

I like the combination of avira free as an antivirus, winpatrol for layered protection and comodo as a firewall

Upgrading your ram to 2 gigs would help a lot for running all these protections, entry level laptops often don't allow you to add extra without replacing the old

Optimizing vista would help as you could eliminate useless crap making headroom for security protection

We have excellent support in the vista subforum

Scanners like MBAM are not a problem
Chewy

#14 Shihan_vista

Shihan_vista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:24 AM

Yea I have MBam. And I changed my AV to BitDefender Total Protection 2009 as my Kaspersky expired. Any problems with that? Please tell me! And how much would an upgrade cost?

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:52 AM

For memory use this site to see what you have, it's best to pull the access plate and look to verify if all slots are full

http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx

the single 1 gig sticks for your laptop are 19 and 20$

Optimize
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users