Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD-ROM trouble

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 amylauren

amylauren

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:45 PM

Geez-us. That's all that I have to say. My CD-ROM no longer works. That is to say, it no longer reads any CDs, music or otherwise. Clearly this presents a problem when I want to install a new program from a disc. Anyway, I've had this problem for a few weeks and originally posted a help request on another messageboard. No one was really able to explain what was going on, though. It's strange -- on those rare occasions when it will recognize that a CD is in the drive, it will start bleeping Winamp. What gives?

I did a google search on this problem --that quite a few people have had, evidently-- and someone on a messageboard asked another CD-ROM victim if the person had a spyware removal program on his/her computer. How or why would that affect the CD-ROM? I ask this because I have spybot installed and use it pretty frequently.

I hope that someone will know what's going on. I've already booted into Safe Mode, removed the drive, and then rebooted. The ROM reinstalls itself, but still won't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:14 AM

Please post your windows OS version. Which updates to it, also.

A link to your posted question on the other board, perhaps.

Details, even though like you say, if it is recognized as a drive when you removed it and plugged it back in. (is that what you did, unplugged the cable and booted, then rebooted again after it was plugged back it?)

Yes, spyware can do strange things, but so can other factors. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:15 AM

I suspect that u'r cdr drive problem is not due to software but something about hardware.

Probably you have not cleaned the CD drive lens for a long time. Use a good dry/wet lens cleaner CD and clean it thoroughly.

That is only one probablity. Even though there are other solutions which i can offer, u need 2 b an expert hardware technician to try them out.

any way good luck.

jbravo.

#4 amylauren

amylauren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:22 PM

Hello, all. Thanks for the responses. I decided to run Hijack This to let you know what I have on my computer. I have considered the possibility that I need to manually clean the drive -- do you reccommend a certain cleaner?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 1:15:58 PM, on 4/24/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER FREE EDITION\PSFREE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\HJT\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R3 - URLSearchHook: URLSearchHook Class - {37D2CDBF-2AF4-44AA-8113-BD0D2DA3C2B8} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NZSEARCH\SEARCHENH1.DLL
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F0F8ECBE-D460-4B34-B007-56A92E8F84A7} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\TOOLBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ati2cwxx] Ati2cwxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2plxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\PANICWARE\POP-UP STOPPER FREE EDITION\PSFREE.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [spc_w] "C:\Program Files\NZSearch\nzspc.exe" -w
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) -
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0000-0001-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.0_01) -
O16 - DPF: {127698E4-E730-4E5C-A2B1-21490A70C8A1} (CEnroll Class) - https://secure.globalsign.net/include/xenroll.dll
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac.../ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac...ta/SymAData.dll
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0002-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_02) -
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall-beta.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab

***Now, I don't really understand the last two items. I've used the Housecall virus scanner a couple of times (months ago) for a backup to my Norton AntiVirus. Do I need to have that running on my comp anymore?

#5 Crusty

Crusty

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:19 PM

My offhand guess is it needs cleaning. A CDROM laser lens is glass and sits pointing upwards, where every bit of lint, burnt roast smoke etc. settles on it and can affect it's ability to read.
I smoke so I usually clean all optical drives every year including PS2 game consoles etc.
They can not be cleaned properly by CD Laser lens cleaning kits and need to be taken apart and cleaned by someone with a philips screwdrivers and an isopropyl alcohol swab.
Often it's cheaper to purchase a new one and install it yourself than it is to have someone clean it.
If you need to clean it youself eject the tray (they lock in position if not and often can't be moved) unplug power supply then unplug cables to the drive usually four screw on each side of the cd drive and four scews on the bottom which you'll need a jewlers screwdriver to remove, then lightly clean the drive lens with an isoproply alcohol swab, reassemble.

#6 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:07 PM

amylauren: First, welcome to BC, a very cool place. You likely will find some helpful information in this BC thread. Good luck.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:08 PM

Amy,
If you're still looking for a solution I have a couple of comments:

I've had a lot of success using a Philips CDROM lens cleaning CD. It doesn't use liquids its just an audio CD with some very fine brushes glued on.

If you want an analysis of your HJT log you should post it in the 'HighjackThis Logs and Analysis' forum with an explanation of your problems. There are people there with special training in analysing HJT logs who can give you a proper response. Other members who are not on the HJT Team should not give you advise about your log. If they do you should ignore it.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users