Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying New Computer- Is This A Good Deal? ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tkim113

tkim113

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:40 AM

after fumbling with the idea of building a computer for myself, or using the barebone deal etc, i have decided to just buy a computer from a local computer shop... well tell me what you think of this deal. i think its pretty good but i want to hear what you guys think

For $460 i can get:
AMD athlon dual core 4850
4GB DDR2 Ram
320 gb
dvd/rw drive
Nvidia geforce 8200 video card
Smart case (this computer is really really small, smaller then a xbox 360)
HD Tv connectivity (apparantly i can plug this computer to a hd tv and use it as a perfect quality monitor)
genuine windows vista os

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:05 AM

4 things
1) good price on it.
2)any computer will hook up to a hdtv. If its an old HDTV it might require buying cables/adapters but its still possible. All the newer ones are coming with PC-input (the little blue AVG plug that is going between your monitor and video card now) But they are right, the quality difference *if there is one* was unnoticable to me at least.
3)The small case. If that's what you're looking for, great. Just be aware that upgrading will either be hard, or impossible. Also unless it has excellent airflow, heat may cause you problems
4)The video card, if you use a lot of graphic intensive programs, like games, video editing, modelling etc, it will choke. For general purposes you'll be fine, just be aware of what you're getting.

Overall sounds like a pretty decent lil all-purpose machine. And if it fits your needs, it rivals the price of building it yourself.

#3 tkim113

tkim113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

4 things
1) good price on it.
2)any computer will hook up to a hdtv. If its an old HDTV it might require buying cables/adapters but its still possible. All the newer ones are coming with PC-input (the little blue AVG plug that is going between your monitor and video card now) But they are right, the quality difference *if there is one* was unnoticable to me at least.
3)The small case. If that's what you're looking for, great. Just be aware that upgrading will either be hard, or impossible. Also unless it has excellent airflow, heat may cause you problems
4)The video card, if you use a lot of graphic intensive programs, like games, video editing, modelling etc, it will choke. For general purposes you'll be fine, just be aware of what you're getting.

Overall sounds like a pretty decent lil all-purpose machine. And if it fits your needs, it rivals the price of building it yourself.

3) yea i am kind of worried about that too. my plan is, once this computer breaks down, i will just use the spare parts and new parts i buy to make a new computer somewhere down the road. But i am guessing the memory, ram, dvd/cd drive will still be the same as it's bulky regular computer counerpart. no?

4) do you know the specs on the graphics card? i am curious. i am not planning to play like crysis or anything but i would still like to play diablo 3 and starcraft 2 on high

thanks for the input :thumbsup:

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

This is a decent price for what you're getting, I do suggest a beefier graphics card such as a 9800 GT or even the 9800 GTX. The problem is the size of the case, many of the newer graphics cards (including the ones I suggested) and several upgrades will not fit into that small of a case. Also, with 4 GB of RAM you will need Vista 64-bit in order to use all of it. Otherwise, you're limited to less than 3.5 GB of RAM for Vista to use.

3939.png

#5 tkim113

tkim113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

This is a decent price for what you're getting, I do suggest a beefier graphics card such as a 9800 GT or even the 9800 GTX. The problem is the size of the case, many of the newer graphics cards (including the ones I suggested) and several upgrades will not fit into that small of a case. Also, with 4 GB of RAM you will need Vista 64-bit in order to use all of it. Otherwise, you're limited to less than 3.5 GB of RAM for Vista to use.

not sure what you mean, are you saying that i wont get the full effect of the massive 4 gb ram if i dont get the windows vista 64 bit version?

do you think i can play sc2 on high with the graphic card thats on board?

thank you for the tip

Edited by tkim113, 05 September 2008 - 02:28 PM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

In order for Windows to use all 4 GB of RAM, 64-bit Vista must be used. If you use 32-bit Vista, you will have 3.5 GB or less of memory for the PC to use. This is due to memory addressing which is necessary in a 32-bit environment. In a 64-bit environment, you can use far more RAM. Here's a link from Microsoft that can help and a Wikipedia article that is very informative about the issue. The GeForce 8200 is an integrated graphics card. For general tasks, such as internet browsing and word processing, this is enough. For gaming, you will want a more powerful card such as the one I suggested. Because you have a small case, a powerful graphics card will not fit. Some graphics cards are between nine and ten inches long.

3939.png

#7 tkim113

tkim113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:26 PM

In order for Windows to use all 4 GB of RAM, 64-bit Vista must be used. If you use 32-bit Vista, you will have 3.5 GB or less of memory for the PC to use. This is due to memory addressing which is necessary in a 32-bit environment. In a 64-bit environment, you can use far more RAM. Here's a link from Microsoft that can help and a Wikipedia article that is very informative about the issue. The GeForce 8200 is an integrated graphics card. For general tasks, such as internet browsing and word processing, this is enough. For gaming, you will want a more powerful card such as the one I suggested. Because you have a small case, a powerful graphics card will not fit. Some graphics cards are between nine and ten inches long.

hm the ram thing is interesting. thank you

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:37 PM

I'm not a gamer...but I would think that smaller cases would be an invitation to either a lot of cooling devices...or disaster due to overheating. How are you planning to cool things?

I just don't see any advantage to having a small, compact case. It limits every function/expansion that you might want to incorporate...next week, next month...and it's not healthy for system components.

I think that laptops prove the disadvantages of close and cramped...every day.

Louis

#9 tkim113

tkim113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

I'm not a gamer...but I would think that smaller cases would be an invitation to either a lot of cooling devices...or disaster due to overheating. How are you planning to cool things?

I just don't see any advantage to having a small, compact case. It limits every function/expansion that you might want to incorporate...next week, next month...and it's not healthy for system components.

I think that laptops prove the disadvantages of close and cramped...every day.

Louis

well this is factory made computer so as long as i dont install additional parts (which i dont plan to) i should be fine.

#10 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

The way nVidia did their video cards in the past few years (6xxx series-9xxx series) the second digit showed what the card was for. x0xx-x5xx was general purpose. x6xx was the budget gamer card and x8xx was the true gamer card. That being said, blizzard really isn't famous for having extreme hardware requirements for their games. You will *most likely* be able to play those games you mentioned at a comfortable level, maxing out graphics for them however...i have doubts. only time will tell.

On the RAM issue, you're not really going to see that much difference between the 3 and some change a 32 bit will utilize, and the full 4. Not trying to say he's wrong, he's dead right. Just not really a dealbreaker.

Edited by smurfgod, 05 September 2008 - 09:24 PM.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:57 PM

Integrated graphics cards are not good for gaming, especially if the game has yet to be released. As for the RAM, if you play with video editing or games, programs which utilize heaps of RAM, you will easily notice a difference in performance. Even more so if the program is designed for 64-bit which uses more efficient instruction sets. RAM is cheap these days, get as much as you can afford and your PC will support.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users