Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 buzzworthybum

buzzworthybum

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:15 PM

When I startup my computer everything starts up properly, but when it gets to the Windows startup it acts like it's a brand new computer. It asks for my name and company and if I cancel then it shuts down. I tried going into safe mode but Explorer always has an error so nothing comes up. I also tried loading it from a boot disk but the one I have has some kind of error so it won't work either. I'm not sure what caused this to happen but I was messing around with the tools in Spybot S&D before it happened and I also accidently uninstalled some microsoft program, but I don't know which one. When I did both of those the Spybot Resident didn't say there were any changes to the registry so I don't think that's what did it. Anyways, I don't know if I should just type in the product key and resignup or try something else. Help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:33 AM

You can try to restore to a previous system restore point and see if you can recover your settings. A guide on using the system restore can be found here:

Windows XP System Restore Guide

#3 buzzworthybum

buzzworthybum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:24 AM

I can't access anything at all unless I type in the product key and sign up for it and all that junk that you have to do with a new computer. btw I'm using Win98. Basically my question is should I do all that junk and then try to restore or what?

#4 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:11 AM

actually the product key will b asked only once., ie while installing win9x. if it is again asking for it, probably some of u'r system files are corrupt/deleted.

It happend with one of my customer once. And when he specified the product key, the problem is corrected.

Try entering the product key, after entering it, if any other files are missing win9x should automatically correct it.

good luck

jbravo.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:29 AM

Grinler misspoke there and referred you to a fix for XP. To do the same thing in 98, start your computer and repeatedly press F8 until you come to a menu on a black and white screen. Use the arrow keys to highlight command prompt only and press enter. Type in "scanreg /restore" without the quotes. On the blue screen that comes up pick a date of a previous registry that is before you made the change and press enter. If you haven't restarted your computer too many times since this error occured you should be ok.

Edited by Leurgy, 24 April 2005 - 11:01 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:55 AM

Yup, thanks for clarifying Leurgy. This definitely feels like a registry corruption

#7 buzzworthybum

buzzworthybum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:14 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I just restored it back to yesterday's settings and everything worked wonderfully.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:00 PM

Glad that worked for you bwb, thanks for posting back.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users