Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu Space (too Big For Display)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eperez43

eperez43

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:20 AM

what with all my newfound gigs on newer PCs, I have loads of apps and utilities installed. I have been using the "new" rather than the "claasic"
Start menu. I arrange start menu alphabetically with many executible programs extracted or copied from, and just ahead of their respective folders. (I'd just as soon see it and click on it, no messing with opening folders.)

Result = My Start Menu fills up 3 entire columns and I just don't have any more room to expand. Is there a way in the new Start menu to have a Page Forward function, to go to a "Next Page" of menu items. I remember the old Scroll Forward kind of action that was on the Classic Start page. Can you do that with New Start Page?

Cheers & Muchos Gracias,

--ernest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

Assuming this is XP that is listed in your profile, I'm moving this to the XP forum
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

LOL...I'd say that you need to remove some of those programs.

It's hard for me to imagine anyone using so many programs continuously and I have to wonder why they are installed if they are not being used.

This link is the best that I can come up with for what you seem to want: http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:tSvVgF...;cd=7&gl=us

Buena suerte, amigo :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

Hello eperez43,

I, too, am in a similar situation -- more programs are installed on the computer than can be displayed at one time on the All Programs menu.

One solution is to scroll them -- you'll then be able to see and access all of the programs in the All Programs list, but you do have to scroll sometimes.

Right click the Start button, left-click the Properties command, click the Start Menu tab, left-click the Customize... button, left-click the Advanced tab. In the Start menu items: list, scroll down and check the Scroll Programs near the bottom of the list item. Then click OK, Apply and OK.

Note that for the most part, my system is set for Classic view. However, as the screenshot shows, the "Start menu" setup is not Classic, just customized:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users