Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slave Hard Drive Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Yunalesca

Yunalesca

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:59 PM

K I bought this 250GB (YAHOO) HDD drive... it's western digital... I wanna install it so that it's a slave drive..... so then I followed the instructions... I was provided with a jumper which I placed on the HDD Western Digital drive in the "slave position".... then I used the cable/ribbon they provided me (it was 3 thingy heads... the things that you place into a HDD... sry dun know name)... anywayz the middle one according to the manuel was to be connected to the slave... and the one side to the master and the other side to the motherboard..... next I rebooted my computer... but this is what I got: "Disk Boot Failure... Insert System Disk and Press Enter".... so I placed the CD ROM provided by western digital... pressed enter... took a while to read... chickened out and shut off my computer... now here's the thing... I believe my computer should have recognized the drive so I shouldn't get this error... and as for the CD ROM western digital provided I should only use that to install the drive right... that's after my system has detected the new drive right... so hmm what's wrong lol?

Ciao o_O

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:57 AM

Sounds to me like you did everything right (even the chickening out part).

Your original drive might not have had it's jumper set to master, even though that sounds kinda far-fetched. Or, the slave jump wasn't right. (I kid you not, I've sworn I did it right, only to find I was off to one side or the other)

I say that because that message seems like the computer read the unformatted western digital and thought "hey, no can boot to this!"

Your new hard drive is not formatted yet.
The CD is used for that, but other ways exist also.

If, for instance you were to unplug the original drive ...
Use just the new WD 250MB hard drive.

The OS is gone, and so you'd have to load it on.
To do that, you'd have to format it. partition it, and then you could
load the windows onto it.

If you have a windows CD, then all that could be done.
A fresh load.
If you think ahead, you make three partitions at the point in the "pre-loading"
that asks you what you want.
You say:
A primary partition of 20GB.
It does it, and then you are back to that screen to make another decision.
An extended partition, this time.
Say, 30GB. It does it.
(You also had to say to those DOS questions, use the large drive option, since 250GB is more than the 30GB max for "small drives", but you only say that once)

One more time, and you make the rest of the drive (about 200GB) the second extended partition.

Not exact in my examples, but close.

Now, you have a formated (for windows, large drives, I presume NTFS file system) and partitioned drive, but no windows.

If you stop there, the drive is now a "windows type formatted drive" and if you put the original drive back into the master position and the 250 in slave, your situation has changed.

You will have a master drive, seen as a primary drive with a windows operaring system on it. It will boot up. The slave will be seen as a drive that windows recognizes, because it is formated and partitioned.

Now, another thing is this:

The BIOS should see that drive no matter what (formatted or not).
It should also be seen as HD1, not HD0. Your BIOS has a boot sequence.
That sequence is some combination of these threee 'devices"

the floppy disk drive.
the CD-Rom (or any optical drive)
the Hard Drive (now it's two of them)
so it has to be the HD0 (the original one) check that, to be sure.

Back to the other part.

As long as the 250GB drive is in the slave postion (actually any slave position HD) you may have an operating system on it, that will not be booted to.

So, you could have continued to load your winXP (or which version do you have?)
onto it and to that 20GB partition at that. You'd then have a spare, fresh, backup complete OS to use if you ever wanted to put the 250 into the master position.
And still have 230 more GBs to freely use.

anyway, I say what I've done, to illustrate matters.

That CD from Western Digital is the key.
You should be able to read what it can & can not do.

I used a Maxtor MaxBlast disk when I added a 120GB drive.
Probably similar.

Seems the first time I used it I installed it to my original drive.
It "told me" I couldn't use it to partition/format any boot drive.
Then I added the second one just like you did, unformatted.

Then I checked BIOS, and after that, I let it boot.
I opened up the installed Maxtor program and it saw the HD, asked me what I wanted to do.

I said make it a "storage disk" and proceeded to divide it into a piechart
three partition job using the nice and easy program.

10 minutes later the OS saw everything it wanted to see.
I double checked in the system administrative tools-->computer management-->disk mangement and saw the confirming data presented, just like I wanted to see.

So... thats no answer, you say.
You are right, it isn't.

I think I just talked about winXP pro from a CD using Maxtor HD, two of them.

I do think you have the answer within your finger tips and in using that CD.
I simply can not say exactly how.
Don't know your details, exactly.

You do, though.
It's just sorting them out.

You (and I would have) chickened out because you haven't ever done it before,
and all your questions about it were not answered by what you read.
Try reading more ... heck, ya' read this didn't ya'? :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:57 PM

k hmm... here's how I placed the jumper on my slave drive (picture).. but now i'm confused about my master... whether what's on it is a jumper or something... anywayz here's the pictures... is this right?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:48 PM

From the picture your "master" jumper needs to be moved to the master position.
Watch the POST screen when the computer boots to see which drive is detected first.
Hint: You can use the "pause" button to see all that info that flies by at boot up.
What brand is the Primary drive?

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

Your jumper in the first picture is on sideways. They are always placed vertically (as in up and down).

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:50 PM

K I dun know the brand of my primary drive (and sry I can't open my computer at the current time.. my dad wants to use the computer oO)... so you're saying is we must remove the jumper in the master drive... hmmm but here's what's confusing me.. the slave drive came with an original white jumper placed in there to begin with.. and I just placed the black one on position two as instructed by the manuel... but I have no clue what the white one is there for... the master has the same white one but placed in a weird position.... so if I move the master jumper that is there to begin with... then how come the slave has two jumpers... or should I remove the white one it came with?

And to see which drive is first detected... I'm kinda confused... there's only one drive... 'cause I removed the other one since it kept giving me the "disk boot error... place disk and press enter error"... so there's only one drive right now.....

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:14 PM

EDIT: There should only be one jumper on the new drive in the position shown in red in your picture, sorry.

You set the new one up according to the picture here on the Western Digital Site? Did you move the jumper on the old drive?

Without knowing the brand of the old drive its not possible to tell what the master setting should be. A lot of hard drives have a diagram on them to show you how to set them. Try them both on cable select also. When you boot, go into the bios and look for auto detect hard drives and go in there. Or make sure it is recognized on the first bios page.

Edited by Leurgy, 24 April 2005 - 06:17 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:06 PM

Ye gods! Those western digital jumper settings are the most complicated I have ever seen! :inlove: Well done WD :thumbsup:

Yunalesca - I will try to clarify things for you:

The drive selection jumper is placed in a certain position to make the drive either master or slave OR cable select. To choose, you pull out the jumper which is already there and move it to the new position, you do not add another jumper. The position of the jumpers varies depending on the brand of drive you have. Western Digital look like they sometimes use a second jumper which does not move.

You can connect two hard drives to the one IDE port on your motherboard using a cable with three connectors as you described. There are two seperate ways of doing this depending on what type of cable you have:

:flowers: If all the connectors on the cable are the same colour you need to set one drive to be the master and the other to be slave. The drive which you boot from will almost certainly be set to master so you set the new drive to slave, check it is recognised in the POST messages at startup and it will be ready to be partitioned and formatted for use in windows (or whatever).

:trumpet: If the connectors on the cable are of different colours then both drives need to be set to cable select. You plug the black (end) connector into your original drive (making it the master) and the middle connector into your new drive (making it the slave). Then you are ready to partition and format etc.

(To complicate things you can use the master/slave settings with the cable from option 2 but you cannot use cable select with the cable from option 1)

As a guess I would say if your original IDE cable had connectors of the same colour, or only two connectors then choose option 1. If the original cable had different coloured connectors then choose option 2.

(Apologies to others if I am repeating what you've already advised.)

Edited by Rimmer, 24 April 2005 - 11:22 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:54 PM

K tried it again... I didn't get the boot disk failure... but more problems... I dun know what my master drive brand is... but I did manage to see on top how to place it (vertical on the third position)... anywayz I did this and I got auto-detect device...

Anywayz I placed everything as it should (the only thing I'm not 100% on is the powersupply cable to the slave... but I used the only one available in the computer and plugged it into the slave)

So first it says auto-detecting drives (or something like that)...
Then the screen showed this:

Primary Master: WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 17.07W17
Primary Slave: WDC WD2500JB-00GVA0 08.02D08
Secondary Master: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B 1.00
Secondary Slave: HL-DT-ST-GCE-8320B 1.04

After I saw this... and loud chink chank sound in the background.... then:

Primary Slave Harddisk Fail....

Now WHAT??

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

If you need info on any hardware or software you have in your computer, download Everest Home Edition 1.51 - a freeware1 system information, system diagnostics and benchmarking solution for home PC users based on the award-winning EVEREST Technology. It offers the world's most accurate system information and diagnostics capabilities, including online features, memory benchmarks, hardware monitoring, and low-level hardware information.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.p...ang=en&pageid=1

or here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

#11 Yunalesca

Yunalesca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:20 PM

so you're saying that I plugged in something wrong.... lol I wouldn't know.. I thought I followed the instructions... grrr this is annoying..

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:41 PM

Primary Master: WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 17.07W17
Primary Slave: WDC WD2500JB-00GVA0 08.02D08
Secondary Master: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B 1.00
Secondary Slave: HL-DT-ST-GCE-8320B 1.04

Primary Slave Harddisk Fail....

Wow, nice Bios. At least its explicit. You might still not have the jumpers right on the two hard drives. Try another setting on the Primary Slave. Go into the Bios on each reboot and try to Auto Detect Hard Drives on the way to Windows Loading.

the only thing I'm not 100% on is the powersupply cable to the slave

When you look at the back of the hard drive where the cables plug in you have a Ribbon Cable and a Power Connector to attach. The Ribbon Cable has a faint red line running down one side of it. The power connector has one red wire on it. Plug the power connector to the drive so that the red wire on one side is closer to the middle of the drive than the outside edge. Plug the Ribbon Cable in so that the red line down the edge is closer to the center of the drive rather than the edge. So the two connectors have the red (line on the ribbon cable and wire on the 4 wire connector) side by side in the middle of the back of the hard drive.

Keep on truckin...... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users