Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Run A Wireless Router Behind My Wired Router?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 spelingchampeon

spelingchampeon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:35 PM

I need to install a wireless (Linksys WRT150N-RM) router in my home.

Currently, I am running a D-Link DI-604, which has all of my current port forwarding setups and I would like to keep it running the rest of the house.

Is it possible I could run the new router off of my D-Link router, and set that up to handle the new wireless computer?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:44 PM

Hi spelingchampeon,

I see no reason that you shouldn't be able to do this as your a just essentially turning your wireless router into a wireless access point. You need to run an ethernet cable from one of the ports of your D-Link DI-604 to the... oh wait. I just tried to do a search for a picture of the back of your wireless router... If the back of the router has a modem port that takes an ethernet port, that is where you plug the cord from your D-Link DI-604.

You would then want to some of your connection settings on the Linksys WRT150N-RM to look to the D-Link router for connections. Providing everything goes okay with DHCP settings (you will probably want to set this connection up with a static address in the end) you should be connected, through a different subnet though of course.

If on the other hand the Linksys WRT150N-RM doesn't have an ethernet modem port, things will be a bit trickier. Let us know if you have the ethernet port on the Linksys router or not and I will explain the process in a bit more detail.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users