Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Data On Slave Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wenpeek

wenpeek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

Ok, I consider myself to be pretty savy about my computer but this one has me stumped. I got a new desktop pc and I wanted to remove the secondary drive from my old pc and install it as a secondary in my new computer because it has all of my files on it. I removed and installed the drive into my new computer making the orginal hard drive the master and the secondary as a slave. Everything booted up just fine and the secondary drive shows up just fine in device manager. But, when I go into Explorer to access my data this is what I see:

The secondary drive has been named to BOOTWORK (D) with the followiing files listed:

I386 Folder
ATRSBOOT File
NTDETECT.COM MS DOS Application
NTLDR File
WINNT.SIF SIF File
WINPE.ISO ISO File

So then I decided to put my secondary drive back into my old computer and just try and burn everything to a CD and copy it that way. Well when I installed it back into my old computer it tells me the same thing as it did in my new computer! I'm so frusturated I'm about to pull my hair out. What am I doing wrong?

Both systems are running Windows XP on the master drives. The secondary drive was for data storage only. Please tell me I haven't lost all of my data somehow!! Any advice would be a big help!!

Wendy Peek ~ Dallas, Texas

Wendy M. Peek
"Life is short! Break the rules...forgive quickly...kiss slowly...love deeply...laugh uncontrollably...and never regret anything that made you smile." ~ Unknown

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:27 AM

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:-zPYle...;cd=3&gl=us

i386 is a Windows file, as is ntldr.

Looks to me like someone tried to do various types of XP installs on that drive...and wiped the drive in the process, http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:sBeUcc...;cd=3&gl=us

But...that's just guesswork on my part.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users