Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vistas Recovery Disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bitbybit

Bitbybit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

My Gateway GM5626 had a wicked boot looping problem until I used the Operating System Disk to re-install Vista. All is now well, however
I need some files that are on the old Vista OS . The set up wizard said that the files old files would be accessible in my docs marked old files. Not so much.
I need to find these old files. More to the point I need to access the old Vista OS. Any thoughts? I actually reinstalled Vista. I did not think that the disk would do that. I just thought that it would fix the boot up looping problem. Help. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:49 AM

It all depends on how you reinstalled Vista. To be sure, I'd search the entire hard drive (even in unindexed locations) for something you know is there. That'll point you to the location and you can then see if your stuff is still there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Bitbybit

Bitbybit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

I searched for all files having to do with "Old" but found nothing. The recovery disk said the files would be marked "Old" I just forget where they were to be
kept'. Also, when I boot up I should be able to get in to the boot set up thingie and choose what OS to choose? any thoughts?

#4 trouble99

trouble99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

try typing ".old", or "*.old" (no quotes) in the vista search bar. Your looking for a file extension not a file that contains the word "Old" I know this sounds confusing and it is, but no one can remember all of this bleep.

And just so you know the actual file I think your looking for is called Windows.old it's pretty much an all or nothing file so you can restore it (all of it) or not. kinda sounds like you already fixed your major issue. if you restore back to the .old you get that back.

good luck d00d

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:32 AM

Rather than searching for OLD, I'd search for something that I knew was there. For example if I had a bunch of pictures of Granny and knew that her name was in some of the files - then I'd search for "granny" (without the quotes) in all locations (including the non-indexed ones).

If it's pictures, then I'd start by searching for *.jpg or *.jpeg (in all locations), then I'd scroll through the results to see if anything was familiar.

Otherwise I'd have to suggest opening up Windows Explorer and start working your way through the directory structure folder by folder.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ajm62

ajm62

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

I done the same and Vista put my windows.old files in Administrator-Document.
Hope this help

#7 Bitbybit

Bitbybit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:00 PM

How do I access Administrator Documents?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users