Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Sp1 Upgrade Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LockeWatts

LockeWatts

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:57 PM

Hi... I'm new here, but I've been using this site for a while to help me repair my various mistakes, but I'm afraid this one is beyond not asking for help.

I have a triple boot XP, Vista, and Ubuntu, on my laptop. I was upgrading to SP 1, and y'know how it asks you to restart 3 times during that process? Well, since my default is XP I booted into that accidentially during the install. Somehow this has completely corrupted\deleted my Vista OS. I don't get why...possibly because it was inbetween the stage of deleting and overwriting with the SP, but I don't honestly know. Anyway...I booted into Ubuntu to try to see what the problem was (after the Vista recovery disk said it could do nothing for me) and looked around the D:\Windows\ directory. The \winsxs\ folder is missing, and in Vista isn't that like system32? It contains most of the OS information? is there any way to recover that folder..? Or replace it with a clean one without having to reformat\reinstall all the programs.

The only error I'm getting is a BSOD on start up, but I'm guessing that missing folder is why...

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

It depends on what the BSOD error is. Try this link to obtain more information: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 LockeWatts

LockeWatts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

Oh wow, sorry for the long response, I didn't realise anybody would reply so quickly. Unfortunately my computer does do the auto-restart, and since it's a BSOD on start up, I can't exactly go turn the auto restart function off.

I'll try to do it a few times and write down what I can while it memory dumps. It'll take a little while though...

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:47 AM

The article that I posted a link to has alternative ways to get the information.
Also, when the computer reboots and asks about booting normally vs Safe Mode - in the Safe Mode menu is an item to disable automatic restarts. That'll let you read the message.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 LockeWatts

LockeWatts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

Okay. Sorry getting this took so long...school decided to be uncooperative. anyway,

STOP: 0xF4 is the error im getting, it doesn't provide any other technical data, just suggests I should contact my systems administrator. I also noticed a bootlog option in the F8 menu for startup options, I tried to log the startup, but it never generated the file...

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:51 PM

Here's a link to a brief description of the STOP 0xF4 error: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0xf4
As you can see, it doesn't help much.

I'd suggest an indepth analysis of the dump files as mentioned in the article that I linked to earlier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users