Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie 8. Yikes!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

I run Win XP Pro, and just installed IE 8 Beta. Since that I cannot open IE. It opens for a few seconds and promptly closes before anything loads.
I re-downloaded IE7 which worked fine before this and the same thing happens. It too opens and promptly closes also now.
I only us IE for doing MS updates otherwise I use Firefox.
I did install Google Chrome just before that and IE apparently disabled that too because the .Exe file for Chrome disappeared. I have since re-downloaded and installed that and Chrome works fine again.
Anyone have any idea how I can get IE to work so I can do my updates.
Thanks.
Floyd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:55 PM

Have a look at this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/166536/no-ie-cant-update/

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:09 PM

A Beta version of a product is not completely tested to ensure its stability or reliability.

What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware that UITS will not have thoroughly tested beta software, nor will the software be guaranteed by its maker, so you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:22 PM

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. I read somewhere that SP-3 might be a problem. I had SP3 installed for a long time. Downloading IE8 was the problem.
I couldn't uninstall it because it didn't show up on the list. Here is what I did to fix it.
1.Uninstalled SP3
2 Reinstalled IE7.
3.Reinstalled IE8.
4.It then ran OK.
I then did a Windows update and installed 13 updates as instructed. SP-3 was not on the list.
Everything now seems to be working just fine including Firefox and IE8. Don't know what happened to SP3, but I'm assuming I no longer need it as it doesn't show up on the updates list.
Once again thanks all.
Floyd

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

You assume wrong. You're going to need SP3 anyway for security reasons so you should probably reinstall it. The problem wasn't with SP3. The problem was you wanted to go back to IE7 and SP3 won't allow you to do that without uninstalling SP3 first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users