Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate 300gb Hdd Does Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brapster

brapster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:20 PM

Hiya fellow BCers.

I bought a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB HardDisk couple of weeks back. I formatted the harddrive, installed Windows XP SP2 and was ready to use it, when it stopped working. Stopped working in the sense, the OS did not boot. No error was displayed...all that happens is that it stops booting when the WindowsXP logo is displayed.

My specs are: P4 1.7Ghz, 512DDR1 Ram, Intel DG45BV mobo, Mercury 300W PSU. I don't have a GPU.

Another thing that I noticed after formatting my HDD was that it had turned really hot. There wasn't any smell but it had turned hot. I have installed XP and RHEL5 on my other Harddrives couple of times and none of them turned this hot. Anyways, at first I thought it might have something to do with my PSU or the lack of more powerful config and I decided on trying it on a more powerful PC.

I went over to my friend's and tried booting my HDD...but even though the PC detects the HDD it does not boot it. The first time I tried booting nothing showed up. I tried F8 and booted normally, the WindowsXp logo was displayed and the screen went blank. It asked me to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to reboot.
My friend's specs are better than mine. He has 2.4Ghz + 1GB DDR1 ram, doesn't have a GPU.

The harddisk was pretty hot after I tried booting it couple of times at my friend's place too. I can get it fixed at the service center which is pretty far away but why waste all that energy when I have a better option :thumbsup:

and oh yeah! I haven't tried any of the SeaTools that are available.
I guess that's about it. If I am missing something, lemme know and I'll give any details you might want but I would like to know the reason behind your question too. Thanks for reading my post.
brap brap!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

A hard drive from one system...should not be expected to boot a different system. The hardware is different, system settings are different.

What I would have done...taken a look at the hard drive as a secondary drive on a good system and see if it appears properly, Windows is installed properly, folders can be accessed, chkdsk /r can be run.

Is the jumper set properly for the connection?

Louis

#3 brapster

brapster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:53 AM

I will try the secondary option tonight and let you know. When I did try using it, I had the jumper properly placed and all. I used it as Primary Master and as a Primary Slave but the computer detects the hard drive only in the Primary Slave config. As far as the people I know, the best system I know is my friend's. =(

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:40 AM

Even though it might not make much sense...I'd also try all drives with the jumpers in the Cable Select setting.

If connected on same cable with drive reflecting CS...second drive must be CS (or you change the jumper setting for the first drive to Master).

And...make sure that you are not using the jumper settings which limit the drive (usually two sets are displayed on the drive, full use and limited use).

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

I bought a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB HardDisk couple of weeks back.
Another thing that I noticed after formatting my HDD was that it had turned really hot.

Depending on how hot "really hot"is, I wouldn't screw with it and send it back

Edited by garmanma, 05 September 2008 - 12:46 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

I've had some drives that ran a little hot. lasted for years, but they seemed too hot for me. I say return it too, and if you get another hot cake, maybe your power supply is too weak, or poor ventilation.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#7 brapster

brapster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

The ventilation is good, I have the sides of the cabinet open all the time :thumbsup: I will be going to the service center tomorrow to get it fixed and hopefully get it working.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

Well...I think we need to be more definitive than "hot." It's a relative term.

But that's the way I look at things. I expect a hard drive or anything else which has electricity running through it for several hours...to be something other than "cool." I would not expect it to burn my hand.

I'd send it back...if it did not work properly in more than one system. That would be my type of decision-making.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2008 - 06:20 PM.

#9 brapster

brapster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

Sent it back today, expecting reply in a week, prolly next Tuesday. Will keep you guys updated and thanks for the time : ")

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users