Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scan a flash drive with anti-spyware programs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WhyBeNormal

WhyBeNormal

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:34 PM

I recently read that if you use a keychain drive on a computer with spyware or a virus, it can infect the drive and then infect your computer when you use it at home. I can scan my keychain drive with Ad-Aware and AVG Anti-Virus, but I don't know of any other programs that can scan a flash drive. Does anybody know of any anti-spyware programs that can scan a removable drive? I've searched the web, but I haven't found anything. What about CWShredder? It doesn't ask what drive to scan when you use it.

Thanks
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:31 AM

Most antivirus programs should be able to scan a flash drive by specifying the drive letter. Microsoft antispyware can scan a specific driver letter as well.

Cwshredder would not work on this.

#3 WhyBeNormal

WhyBeNormal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

Most antivirus programs should be able to scan a flash drive by specifying the drive letter.  Microsoft antispyware can scan a specific driver letter as well.

Cwshredder would not work on this.

Thanks for the info. I had Microsoft antispyware before, but things seemed to act a little slower. I figured it was the Microsoft antispyware because it was still beta. I'll give it a try again.
Posted Image

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:39 PM

Spybot and AdAware can also be set up to scan your Flash drive.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:03 AM

If you want to use the scanner part, and not the real time scanner part of Microsoft antispyware, disable the startup item that it will put into your registry. You can do this from msconfig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users