Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wired "networking"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 turtletary

turtletary

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:07 PM

Other than running wires and drilling a hole.. what are the pros & cons of a wired network? How does the cost compare to wireless?

Thanks
Terry E. Kilgore
Bless GOD America
Turtletary.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:52 AM

In terms of the pros and cons, I think it is safe to say that wired is always preferred over wireless where available. The pros include having a connection that is not susceptible to interference by cordless phones, microwave ovens, neighbour's wireless routers or phones, etc. Wired is also still a faster connection at up to 100 Mbps (although if you get wireless connections at 54 Mbps you probably will not notice the difference). Also many people are still concerned about security as although having a secured wireless connection is generally quite safe, it is still potentially susceptible to someone with the right equipment, knowledge, and a lot of time on their hands as well as intent.

The cons are pretty much just what you explained - running the wires and drilling holes. It could potentially be negative from a cost perspective as well depending on what physical changes you need to make in order to run wires, and just how many computers you are running to and where they are. You can usually go to a home renovations store and get ethernet (category 5) cable for a very reasonable price and end up paying less to run the wires rather than purchase wireless networking cards if you do not already have them. If you do already have wireless networking cards in all computers, then there isn't much of any price difference between purchasing a wireless router and a router that does not have wireless capability.

To sum up, I would go with whatever is easiest. If wired is not that much trouble though, I would still recommend that method as it offers the most reliable connection.

#3 sickstrings

sickstrings

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:02 AM

Excellent response Phantek. :thumbsup:

I'd like to add one more though. Portablility for wireless network devices. You can move your computer/device anywhere inside the wireless network range. Doing that on a wired setup isn't as easy and maybe even impossible.

As for the cost, if it's a setup for a big company, then a wired setup would be expensive. As Phantek already mentioned, the cost won't be too big if it's only for a home setup.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

Detailed instructions are not meant to insult your intelligence. They are there for readers who may not be familiar with some aspects of their computer.

Roses are #FF0000. Violets are #00FF00. All my base are belong to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users