Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Boot Device Available

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VSAD

VSAD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hi! I am a novice at both posting in a forum and fixing a computer. This is my last try to fix my computer before either taking it to a pro or buying a new one altogether.

My Dell Dimension 8400 is more than three years old and out of warranty. Started showing the blue screen with error messages and to the best of my ability I determined that the hard drive was dying.I purchased a similar Western Digital 160 GB SATA hard drive.

I have a Dell reinstallation Disk. The BIOS is set so that the cd rom boots first,floppy drive second,hard drive third.Western Digital's level two tech was unable to install windows on the new hard drive. All I get is "No boot device available" "Press F1 to continue". I also tried my Windows 98 Installation Disk and Ubuntu that I downloaded on my Windows 98 pc.I tried every set of keys pressed while starting the computer to no avail.The new hard drive is recognized in the BIOS. Lastly, Western Digital suggested that I purchase a brand new Windows XP and install it because the Dell reinstaller(also ones from HP and other manufacturers) are inadequate to reinstall Windows on a new hard drive.

Please help if you can .Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

In my experience you can reinstall a Dell Operating System on a brand new Western Digital hard drive with no difficulties - we probably do it a couple of times a week at work.

As this is a SATA hard drive, did you press F6 to install SCSI/RAID drivers as instructed when the Windows installation first starts?
Where in the boot sequence does the "No boot device available" happen?
Could it be that the cables aren't firmly connected?
Could it be that there's an issue other than the hard drive preventing the drive from being detected?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 VSAD

VSAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

Thank you usasma for responding to my post.I took your advice and doublechecked.I disconnected the new hard drive and reinstalled the dying hard drive.A new message showed up CAN'T CONNECT DVD43. DRIVER MUST BE INSTALLED UP TO DATE AND ACTIVE.

According to Device Manager and Hardware Wizard there is nothing wrong with the cd-rom drive even though it's not recognized in the BIOS. I uninstalled the cd-rom drive so that Windows Update would find new hardware when booted,which it did but nothing else happened. I have the Cyberlink PowerDVD software disk in the cd-rom drive but can't install it. Pressing F6 while booting results in Keyboard Failure message.

If someone can help me install the drivers or if they think there is somethin else going on please let me know.Thank you.

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:05 PM

check the jumper settings on the new hard drive. Match what the old one is. CS or Master? Maybe you are using the wrong installation media? Must have new hardn drives sata driver slipstreamed into the installation I think.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 05 September 2008 - 01:07 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 VSAD

VSAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

I am using the old hard drive right now.The cd-rom drive is not recognized in the BIOS and I can't install the drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users