Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W32.sillydc Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Satyra

Satyra

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

Haii :flowers:

I'm experiencing problems with this w32.sillydc. I've followed the instructions quietman7 has put up for Sdas57 in another topic dealing with this but im still not getting rid of the infection.

I'm no computer expert so my apologies if i've missed something really fundemental or i've done something stupid :trumpet:

I have "Reconfigured Windows XP to show hidden files, folders", but for some reason, it reverts back to hidden after about 30 seconds. I'm not totally sure why.

I also cannot find the Autorun.inf file when i search the drives, but the reason behind that might be something weird going on relating to the files and folders being hidden again automatically as stated above.

I also cannot find the autorun file when following the intructions in the "run -> cmd" part when im in safe mode.
It comes up with first "C:\ documents and settings\ hp owner:" then i type in the del autorun bit and it cannot find it. I don't know if its the document and setting bit, and maybe it should only be C:\ when i search for it, but i'm not sure how to do that.

When i run msncleaner in safe mode, it finds the Autorun.inf file and I delete it as instructed. But if i run the cleaner again immediately afterwards, the Autorun.inf file appears again everytime. I've tried it with both the Task manager box checked and unchecked.

I have a feeling its something really simple i'm missing out. any help is appreciated! And if anyone has any questions, please do not hesistate to ask :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Satyra

Satyra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:04 PM

This is the instructions that were given to the other poster:

Reconfigure Windows XP to show hidden files, folders. Open My Computer, go to Tools > Folder Options and click on the View tab. Under Hidden Files and Folders, check "Show hidden files and Folders", uncheck "Hide Protected operating system Files (recommended)", uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types", and hit Apply > OK.

Open My Computer, right-click on your primary drive (DO NOT double-click), select "Explore", and search for any autorun.inf at the root. Repeat the search on all your drives (including your flash drive and any recent CDs you have used). If autorun.inf is present continue as follows:

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode With Command Prompt" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode With Command Prompt".

Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
press Ok.
At the command prompt, type in your primay drive location, usually C:
You may need to change the directory. If so type: cd \
Hit Enter.
Type: attrib -s -h -r -a autorun.inf
Hit Enter.
Type: dir
Hit Enter. This will allow you to see and confirm the Autorun files.
Type: del autorun.inf
Hit Enter.
Repeat the above commands for each drive on your computer.
Exit the command prompt and reboot normally.
When done remove the Startup RUN value by downloading and using Autoruns.

Please download MsnCleaner.zip and save to you Desktop. In addition to removing infected files, it will remove certain restrictions on your system often disabled by malware.
Extract (unzip) the file to your desktop. (click here if your not sure how to do this) but DO NOT use it yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8. To do this restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A boot menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".
Double-click MsnCleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click the "Analyze" button.
A report will be created after the scan and will be saved to C:\MsnCleaner.txt.
If it finds an infection, click the "Deleted" button.
Reboot normally and post the contents of MsnCleaner.txt in your next reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users