Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless - Pros & Cons?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 turtletary

turtletary

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:22 PM

The "wired-modem" is in a block building servicing Windows XP Home. 10 yards away in a wood frame building is 2nd Windows XP Home.. both PC.

Other than convenience.. what are the pro's & con's of wireless? Not a gamer.. basic email/website editing. Which "router/adapters"(?) will fit the need?

Thanks in advance.. you guys are the best!

Terry
Terry E. Kilgore
Bless GOD America
Turtletary.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hi

Pros
Easy to get a network connection to your shed.
Cons
Wireless can suffer from interference from other devices - Cordless Phones, Baby Monitors etc which operate in the same frequency band. Microwave cookers can also cause problems. Wireless is also less secure than a wired network although you can secure it by turning off SSID, using MAC Address filtering and using WPA.

To get your wireless network up and running,replace your wired modem with a wireless router. To connect up the PC in the shed, you can use a Wireless Dongle that plugs into a USB port or you can get Wireless PCI cards.
Steve

#3 turtletary

turtletary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

Hi

Pros
Easy to get a network connection to your shed.
Cons
Wireless can suffer from interference from other devices - Cordless Phones, Baby Monitors etc which operate in the same frequency band. Microwave cookers can also cause problems. Wireless is also less secure than a wired network although you can secure it by turning off SSID, using MAC Address filtering and using WPA.

To get your wireless network up and running,replace your wired modem with a wireless router. To connect up the PC in the shed, you can use a Wireless Dongle that plugs into a USB port or you can get Wireless PCI cards.

Thanks for the quick reply SLIX!

I was fine until you got to the you can secure it by turning off SSID, using MAC Address filtering and using WPA. .. and thereafter! Then you totally lost me.

Sounds like buying a "wired-router" would be more secure and less costly.

Terry
Terry E. Kilgore
Bless GOD America
Turtletary.com

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hi Terry

it's not as daunting as you think. All the things I mentioned are easily configured in a wireless router usually using your web browser.
The price iof a wireless router is not that much more than a wired router. Sometimes the router manufacturers package a wireless dongle with the router which works out a lot cheaper than buying the two seperately.
I was not trying to scare you with the security issues of a wireless network. By making you aware of these issues you can take the necessary steps to make your network secure. There are lots of sites on the web that explain exactly how to do this.
Don't worry, it's all quite straightforward.
Steve

#5 turtletary

turtletary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

Thanks again Steve,

When I said you lost me I meant I am clueless with the meaning of those "letters" [ SSID.. MAC Address filtering and WPA??? ] like what's a wireless dongle? Is there a tutorial here somewhere? :flowers:

I'm a Herpetologist.. not a computer brain :thumbsup:

Terry
Terry E. Kilgore
Bless GOD America
Turtletary.com

#6 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

Hi turtle,

Setting up wireless is very easy. Coming to tutorials there are many available but depends on which router your planning to buy. Have a look at this link which gives some background and ideas.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

Coming to wireless dongles it is just like USB stick which make the computers which does not have wireless card. Or else you can go for the wireless cards as well. But USB is quite cheap compared to buying a new wireless card.

http://www.dabs4work.com/productview.aspx?...NavigationKey=0

Here is one of my favorite one for home users. Any doubts keep asking

Good luck :thumbsup:

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#7 mackone

mackone

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

Perhaps the biggest technical issue facing day-to-day wireless networking is interference, either from nearby wireless networks or devices sharing the same radio frequencies.

Wireless networking may suffer from its fair share of technology issues, but none are insurmountable - with a little planning you can enjoy a smooth-running cable-free environment. The technology may be evolving, but today a wireless network can be up and running faster and more cheaply than ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users