Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Corrupt?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Booman

Booman

• Banned
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:22 AM

I just started school and am in a class where I fix computers that the teachers bring in. I got on the this one account (I am the admin) it had all this junk installed of which I removed. And then I went to MSCONFIG and it kept crashing as I clicked on the boot config because there is a Black screen on bootup that gives the two choices

Windows (default)
Windows (default)

I wanted to get rid of the screen. Then I went in msconfig to the startup and when I went to hit the OK button it told me that I was not the admin and yadda yadda. Then I went to appwiz.cpl and then the change/remove buttons were not there only the words showed up (change/remove). I could still uninstall programs all except for this Wurm Online thing and it had the java icon next to it. I clicked on it and the window flashed and nothong happened.

What options do I have?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

if someone didn't know what they were doing and reloaded windows there would be duplicate entries for windows at login, one might be a dummy only referenced in the master boot record and would survive a full format

you carefully edit the boot.ini file to remove

the other problem might be a case where the default admin login has been deleted, that's why there's ahidden one accessible from safe mode

am I doing your homework?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Booman

Booman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

No you are not. I am on my second day. We dont get that kind of homework. In fact...we dont get any at all. When ever a pc goes bad in the whole school. The teachers bring us the pc and we fix it. That is our job. We are learning from it as we go.

What about the Appwiz.cpl thing?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:37 PM

I have been involved in a few threads where shell mvp's were trying to fix similar corrupted window installs, because of the older install media and loss of data, a clean install was a last resort. Running a repair disk was considered out of the question also. After several days and a few pages of posts it was found that my original suggestion of slipstreaming the latest service pack into the cab files was the only solution and running windows as a repair disk. Sometimes even that doesn't work.

Have you tried creating a new admin from safe mode?

Edited by DaChew, 04 September 2008 - 03:38 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Booman

Booman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

I am going to do a complete format. I found more errors and stuff. The user should not have downloaded all this junk.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users