Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kelton_b

kelton_b

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:08 PM

Now this is going to sound really stupid, but I'm thinking about building a computer, and Im kinda confused on what are the possibilites on what i can order. Like do I have to make sure its a certain type of hard drive, cause I know some memory chips wont fit into some computers cause its a certain type of computer. I havent tooken any computer repair or maintnence classes. Is it still possible to build the perfect computer. I heard it was cheaper and better to buy the pieces and put it all together than to buy a new one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

Actually at this point in time you can buy some name brand complete computer systems for less than I can put together one,basic system [ case;pwrsupply;mobo;cpu;1 stick memory etc.] no HD;monitor;cd-rom;floppy or any software about $300.00.
I believe HP has one w/monitor and software etc for a around $500.00

Everything depends on how well one shops around.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:54 PM

Here's a couple of websites, on building a PC, that you can check out:

Build Your Own
HardwareCentral
Build Easy PC
MY SUPER PC
Geek.com
Illustrated Step by Step Guide
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:00 AM

Hey, kelton_B, it is not even close to being stupid, even without any classes.

Read the posts in this forum from the start to now.
It'll take a few hours, maybe.

and those forums linked to above, tg1911 is right, read up.

build a budget.
price compare. here is the candy store:

http://www2.newegg.com/index.asp

on the left click categories, and you are shopping for the stuff below:

motherboard/cpu/heatsink/fan is the foundation.
They'll come separate or as a package deal ... read carefully.

RAM (memory cards) next biggie.
think lifetime warranty, and 512MB or a pair of 'em if the motherboard will take 'em.

a hard drive ... figure a ATA/133 40GB, 80GB, or 120GB depends on what you want. You'll find two is better than one ...
and they are often on sale or rebates available.

a case to put it in, and the case will need a PSU (power Supply Unit) & a couple more fans. all of that can be found for 30.00- 40.00

a DVD-RW, figure it will do everything a CD-Rom does, so skip the lesser things, and go straight fo the one that does it all. figure under 100.00

put a 10.00 floppy disk drive in to fill that hole up front (and it can a good backup at times)

the mainboard if it was made anytime after 2002 (or even earlier) will have nVidia or VIA or ATI onboard, (built-in) for display, and some basic sound, making those add-on cards optional (but nice to have).

so extra for :
video card (don't even bother with less than 64MB, 128MB makes more sense, or more depending on what you do, and/or want to spend)
sound card (creative soundBlaster of some modest kind helps)

the Monitor can be anywhere from 80.00 (17" CRT) up to a bunch (big flat panels)
the multi-peripheral printer/scanner/fax/copier shouldn't run more than about 100.00
for basically good to use. buy used if you can.
keyboards and mouses are cheap ...

You need a OS CD, budget for it ...

what more can ask for ... you build it, you know it.

fixing it is easy, especially if you stay away from the cutting edge new stuff.
start out middle of the road. you'll spend 400.00 - 500.00 if you're smart,
buy some of it used ...

Sales at the big box places might offer systems for a bit more than that in price, but
probably not really the performance. read the fine print.

Most of the bundled software is available as online freeware, if not all of it.
Maybe not the name brand stuff, maybe better than that stuff...

Don't ignore the specifications on the new sale-close-outs and rebated ones, though.
Use 'em to compare.

I guess you hear where I'm coming from.

Read those back pages of this forum, though.
and the others.

post more questions as you narrow things down to what you want/need/ can afford.

It'll be fun.

:thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 kelton_b

kelton_b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:21 PM

This is no stupid question!

I wanted to add a few places to where you could get computer parts from.
http://www.newegg.com
http://www.tigerdirect.com
http://www.ebay.com

These are where I bought my parts at when I built my pc a while back. If you decide to build one we can help you out.

See you around

#7 kelton_b

kelton_b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:31 AM

How can I tell if a CD drive that I might buy will fit the case? And what is a pretty fast (but cheap) CPU? I see all those 20000MHz and stuff like that and I don't know what's best?

#8 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:53 AM

Most cases you buy will have at least two to three 5 1/4 inch bays on them

I'd think of what you are going to be doing on your PC plus what you can afford. For example, I'm a gamer at home and an IS Support Tech at work. At home I have an AMD Athlon 2500+, which not overclocked is 1.83 Ghz. That's mid range. I bought it for $150 two years ago, it goes for $88 now. At work I have a Pentuim 4 2.80Ghz. I have some monitoring software on my work PC that's always on, and I have a lot of windows open at once, so I need the processing power.

USE + Available Funds / COST = Your Processor....

:thumbsup: I think i confused myself :flowers:
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#9 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 28 April 2005 - 08:21 PM

2 of my favorite sites for hardware reviews and tips are
Toms Hardware and Mikes Hardware http://www.mikeshardware.com/
While writeing this post I went to Mike's cause I hadn't been by in a while and found to my sorrow that he had died in a motorcycle accident earlier this year.

For the time being his site is still up and a lot of valueable info is still available.

I will miss his wit and knowledge greatly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users