Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed. Corrupt Directory/file. Possible Malware.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CID1

CID1

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:07 AM

Hello, My name is Cid and I am having trouble installing a couple of video games to my laptop. I suspect that I have some malicious spyware on my system.

I am using an IBM ThinkPad. Here is the basic system info from a fresh Dxdiag:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/3/2008, 21:44:16
Machine name: COMPUTER
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070719-1309)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: IBM
System Model: 23747XU
BIOS: Phoenix FirstBIOS™ Notebook Pro Version 2.0 for IBM ThinkPad
Processor: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.80GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 821MB used, 1639MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------------------------------------------------------

Now let me start off by saying I have used a PC for over 20 years continuously, while that may seem like a lot of experience, I'm still a novice. I'm a DOS guy and can never fully adapt to a Windows world. I have always been plagued with PC problem (since Windows 3.1). Every tower I've gotten always eventually fails... always. When I got this laptop, I was very very careful. I install next to nothing. I don't open forward email spams with attachments. And let me be perfectly clear on this. I DO NOT go to Adult websites. I have made that mistake in the past and paid for it. THIS laptop has never ever been to an adult site or any suspicious site. My entire use is for private email, GameFAQs.com forum chatting and database entry (Excel) for freelance work. I only go to trusted sites, like Google, Yahoo, YouTube, dictionary.com stuff like that. I never click on a link I don't recognize. If I feel I need to go to a link, I run the site through Google 1st to see if it is safe. Yet, with all this safe surfing, I think I may be infected with something. I don't have an Anti-Virus and I don't have any spyware protection. I would like your expert opinion on what I should get to clear my system and stay clear and safe. I would also like advice on how to back my system up. I have heard of "image," or "ghost" backing up by taking a "picture" of my hard drive and in the event of a severe error I can "re-image" my system. I would like to go this route to back up my system.

Now for the immediate problem at hand.

Last night, I tried to install a couple of video games. I bought the Myst Anniversary DVD edition. I contains update in the installation method for it to work on XP (BTW, I have Service Pack 2). This collection includes Myst: Masterpiece Edition, Riven: The Sequel to Myst and Myst III: Exile. I tried to install Myst: Masterpiece Edition 1st. After I selected the default directory and it goes to the installation bar I get an error message that says directory "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information" is corrupt. I can't complete my installation process. I then tried to install Riven. I then got a similar error this time is says "The file or directory C:\PROGRA~1\QUICKT~1\QTSystem\QuickTimeMusic.Resources is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility." Now with the InstallShield Installation Information, I can't delete, rename or move it. I'm just stuck there. WTF? It's MY computer, why can't I decide if I want to delete a directory, not cool. Now with QuickTime. I recently downloaded the most up-to-date free version, and may have acquired something malicious there. I was sure I got it from the official site though. So how can I fix this corrupt directory, InstallShield Installation Information and this corrupt file, QuickTimeMusic.Resources? For QuickTime I was thinking I could uninstall it through Add/Remove Program, but I know it can sometimes leave the corrupt file and just make matters worse.

Details that happened as well. I got an error that asked if I wanted to send a report to Windows (typical), but after I selected no, it gave me a very similar window that said Dr.Watson, do you want to report this to Dr.Watson? What?! This really seemed weird. Now it may be relevant to the Myst games as this is a a guy that works for Cyan (the developer) called RAWA which stands for Richard A. Watson. Still weird as it was the result of an installation error. My PC then froze for a while and the only accessible window was the Task Manager. 2/3rds of the programs open were listed as NOT RESPONDING. I closed one and after a minute wait all the unresponsive ones closed. Weird.

Now, in the past I used to shut my laptop fully off, but then it would run Chkdsk at boot up EVERY time. Often it caused more problems than before and I would have to boot up in safe mode and reverse the changes. So I never shut down any more, I just go to sleep mode. One of the results from Chkdsk was it disabled my Excel, a program that is vital to my freelance work. I can't afford to not be able to access that daily. I don't know what the problem is with Chkdsk, but Microsoft is no help. Their support system worse than the marriage of stereo instructions and a legal doc.

Any and all help will be much appreciated. Thank You!
CID

"There is power in numbers."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CID1

CID1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:16 AM

I don't mean to be demanding. I know this is free help and I very much appreciate it and the help I got in the past, but can I please get some help on this issue. For the immediate, I just need to figure out how to fix the corrupted file "InstallShield Installation Information." And is it OK to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Quicktime? Thanks in advance very much in advance!
CID

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:29 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 CID1

CID1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:58 AM

After hours of deleting and fixing problems through your recommended process and a full days use of installing and uninstalling for testing, my problems seem to have been solved. I can not thank you enough. Very much appreciated, Bleepin' Cynic.

I do have one final question, which free spyware protection and anti-virus software do you recommend? Thanks again!
CID

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:06 AM

For free anti-virus there are the following:
  • Antivir
  • Avast
  • AVG
  • Comodo
Only install one anti-virus. Personally I think one of these is about as good as the other and it's really personal preference as to which one you use.

For free anti-spyware there are the following:
  • SuperAntiSpyware
  • Malwarebytes
  • Spyware Blaster
These lists are not exhaustive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users