Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Delete Programs Once Opening Add/remove "" In Ctrlpanel

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tyr

Tyr

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

Hello; I was hoping you could help with a problem I just noticed. I went to uninstall the version of Windows Media Player I have using the Add/Remove Programs option in the Control Panel, and once it came up it listed the programs just fine but didn't allow any way to delete them - the thing to click on where it usually was is now gone! Clicking around, I see that a few (very few, really) programs listed did show Remove, or Change/Remove when I clicked on them, but the majority didn't (and are useless programs I never use that installed when I first set up the computer a while back).

Do you have any idea why this is happening, or how I can get it back in order to uninstall all the junk programs I never use, or ones that don't offer an Uninstall option anywhere in their Program Files folder or actual application options? I have so many programs I need to uninstall. :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to add that I took a screenshot so you can see what I mean. link

Edited by Tyr, 03 September 2008 - 10:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:50 AM

Have you done a repair install of XP at any time?

How many user accounts are reflected for your system?

Louis

#3 Tyr

Tyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:58 AM

Sorry I took a while no, I've never done an XP repair-install. As for user accounts, I'm not sure what you mean by 'reflected' but there are 4 accounts at the login screen, and the Guest (would be 5th) account is turned off. I think the user accounts displayed at the login page are different when I load in safe mode, though ('Administrator' appears whereas already 2 accounts are admin status and two are limited).

Matt

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

I meant "user accounts" as reflected in Control Panel.

Can you list them?

Have you scanned the system thoroughly for malware?

Louis

#5 Tyr

Tyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:26 PM

The four user accounts are simply the names of me, my brother, my mom, and my dad. Regarding malware, I had some problems a few months ago and thoroughly scanned and cleaned it then, but I haven't recently, though I've done a few low-grade scans like Spybot S&D and RogueRemover a couple times, despite having plenty other programs and using several online scans as well. So no, I haven't scanned it thoroughly.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:57 AM

Here's how to restore them. Unfortunately, it's a one-by-one process. http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/0...emove-programs/

Here's an article from Microsoft that may/may not help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266668

I'd suggest using Dial-A-Fix also, but if you've got XP Service Pack 3 I'd be cautious as Dial-A-Fix hasn't been tested with it. Read the entire article here before downloading it: http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix I'd suggest using the Registration section to fix the Control Panel applets (and maybe some of the others in that section)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Tyr

Tyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

Thanks, usasma! I'm afraid I was unable to do what was said in the first link, though. Sure, I went into regedit and to the Uninstall folder where it said to go, but only a few programs were listed there, most without NoRemove or NoModify. I then searched the registry for instances of one program name, and found nothing that was what I needed. Frustrated, I searched the entire registry for 'NoRemove' and it only came up with a couple hits! Most programs simply didn't have that option. Many many months ago (it may have been a year now) when I had a large problem with malware, one program I used was a registry cleaner, which I regret I suspect that that may have led to this problem, but I instantly noticed others, like it deleting serial numbers / activation keys to certain programs, one I was able to reinstall and the other I still haven't been able to recover. I may have had the Change/Remove problem all this time since then; I'm not sure.

However, I've temporarily given up on this problem for the time being as some other ones are proving to be much more inconvenient / annoying; I'll find the right subforum and post about them on BleepingPC.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

If the appropriate registry keys have been removed...the only thing I can suggest is reinstalling, the uninstalling.

Reinstalling will place the proper keys in the registry.

Do these programs actually work?

In any case...you could always uninstall by deleting registry keys pertaining to a given program and then just deleting all files which relate to a program.

Your original question mentioned WMP...WMP does not play by the same rules as an ordinary program, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users