Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Dsl ..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:38 PM

Hey BC!

I have a windows xp pro desktop machine recently rebuilt dell desktop. All drivers have been installed and downloaded from the resource cd. I am using verison dsl to connect to the internet. I am getting an IP address 192.168.1.1 so am i not sure why i cannot connect to the internet. When i try to bring up a webpage i get page cannot be displayed. any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!!!

"As it was in the beginning, it will be in the end "

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:13 PM

Are you using a router? The address you mention, 192.168.1.1, is used as a default address for a router and for the web interface that controls the configuration of the router.
I'm not a connection expert, so this is the only thing I can tell you.
Someone else will have to help you with your connection issue.

#3 Phantek

Phantek

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

Queen-Evie's point is very solid. I would check to make sure that you do not have a hard-coded IP address.

If you have Windows XP, then click on "Start", "Control Panel", "Network Connections", and right-click on your "Local Area Network" (assuming you are not wireless). Choose "Properties" and click on the line that says "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" before clicking on the "Properties" button. Make sure you are set to "Automatically obtain an IP address".

#4 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:57 AM

Hello wannabeadmin141,
It sounds like the modem/router is not handling DHCP requests properly. You may want to first try setting a static IP address rather than requesting an address from your router/modem. I'm not on windows at the moment but from memory (and Phantek's post) you would follow his advice but set the networking options to static and enter something similar to this:

Configuration: Static IP address
IP Address: 192.168.1.10
Netmask: 192.168.1.255
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1

If you can get this to work, there is something janky going on with the router's DHCP server and it will have to be reconfigured. If you could post your router/modem model number we will probably be able to help you further. We will also be able to determine what subnet you are supposed to be on.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#5 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:38 AM

Great! thanks for all the suggestions guys ..with a little elbow grease and the help of your suggestions im up and running thanks again!!!

"As it was in the beginning, it will be in the end "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users