Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An Odd Bug

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 concidius

concidius

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:31 PM

I have recently run into an odd occurrence on my computer. Occasionally while I am running a program there will be a short glitch in the graphic presented on the screen and I will see a safe mode color and texture scheme. The change will last about two seconds and then flip back to standard colors and textures. It happens infrequently and does not seem to be affecting any program I can see. I have run several virus scans but come up empty handed. It has thus far happened while I have been using IE as at least one of the running applications. The computer is middle aged and I wonder if there may be a hardware problem. However I cannot refute a software issue either so I ask here for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:16 AM

Since you've scanned for malware, this is most likely either due to your graphics drivers or your graphics card.
Try downloading updated graphics drivers from the manufacturer of your graphics card's video chipset (ATI, nVidia, Intel, SiS, etc)
If you're unsure, post back with the make/model of your video card and we'll see what we can find.

If you can't find the information, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Then, click on the + sign next to Display Adapter - and let us know what it says.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 concidius

concidius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Ok drivers are updated on the graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU). I'll see if the problem returns.

#4 concidius

concidius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:44 PM

Ok still seem to have the problem even with the driver update. Is there a good way of seeing if the graphics card is going beyond occasional glitches?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

I'd have to suggest trying another graphics card in it's place.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 concidius

concidius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

I actually was getting a new card for a different computer today so I slapped it into the one with the problem. We shall see if it makes a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users