Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is a firewall necessary?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 codedoomy

codedoomy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:01 PM

My computer is running SpyBot TeaTimer, Avast! free edition, ProcessGuard, Windows Firewall, and Prevx Home edition. I was wondering if I need to install a third party firewall even though I have all of these other programs. If so, what should I use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:09 PM

Hi. Well that's a very good Question. I mean if you want to be even safer then now why shouldn't you get another firewall,that's never wrong. My TIP is

Mcaffe.... It's a very good firewall.... it can trace the hacker and it can find out the address and those thing's. Very helpful. !

Click here mcaffe

PS: It has more thing's to it you can sign up for a virus scanner or a firewall and many more thing's good company :thumbsup:

Hope Ive helped you

Claudio

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:12 PM

Do not Run 2 Firewalls at the same time.
The same applies to Antivirus programs.
They will conflict with each other, and cause problems.

I see you are using Windows Firewall.
While it is a firewall, it's not a very good one.
Four free, better ones, are:
Kerio
Outpost Firewall Free
Sygate Free
ZoneAlarm

If you choose to run one of these, instead of the Windows Firewall, be sure to disable the Windows Firewall.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

The Windows firewall will only check incomming packets, leaving outgoing packets alone; as a result, any malware that might land on your computer is at liberty to "call home." Any of the firewalls mentioned by tg1911 is preferable, from a security point of view, to the MS firewall.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 codedoomy

codedoomy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:56 AM

I had previously installed Zone Alarm, but the new version of Avast said that it wasn't compatible, so I uninstalled ZA. And sorry VIRUS, but I'm never going to use McAffe again. They ripped me off last time. :thumbsup: Plus, the program consumes too much resources.
Thanks for the suggestions. If I use Sygate does it matter if I use Firefox instead of IE? It lists IE as one of the requirements.

#6 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:45 AM

codedoomy: First, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Let me try to answer your question this way: About six months ago, my computer was really messed-up with malware. I'd been running with AVG, but no firewall. BC put my machine back on the road and I installed a firewall (Zone Alarm). Since that time, no problems, however ZA reports there have been almost 6200 intrustion attempts (that's about 35 per day), almost 100 of which were considered "high-rated". BTW, those numbers based on about 2 hours per day surfing relatively safe news sites and similar; nothing out of the ordinary.

So I think a firewall is extremely important, along with regularly updated AV and malware-detecting software. A great BC Tutorial on protecting your computer can be found here and a BC Tutorial on firewalls can be found here.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#7 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:48 AM

Just to add another twist to this question:

Do I need a software firewall as well as the hardware one in my modem/router?
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:14 PM

Sygate Personal Firewall works perfectly well with any Mozilla application, though you might need IE just to download it.
There will be endless discussion about whether you need both a resident firewall and a router. To my mind, a resident firewall is another layer of protection against the barbarians at the castle door.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users