Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Removing Ms Antivirus And Other Things........

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jmccracky

jmccracky

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

Ok, so I've followed all the instructions on the page. Here is what I've done today (sorry if this is long), but I need to know if I need to do a hijack this log. I'm really bad at the computer language, but I'm learning and I appreciate your patience.

I downloaded Lavasoft ad aware. Ran it several times today. It seems like it doesn't get everything and when I reboot and run again, there are still things. Last time I ran it though after a reboot, there was only one "thing", so it seems as though it is working. I just have to keep running it and there are less "things" that it finds every time I run it after a reboot.

Ran Spybot. There are some Myweb things that it will not get rid of. Also, something called valumonte (?) keeps coming up. Spybot then tells me to reboot and do a scan at the start automatically with the internet disconnected. It doesn't get rid of the Myweb "things" (LOL). I've ran it at least 5 times today after a reboot.

I then downloaded McAfee Sting. Everything seems good with that program. It found some things, but I've used the scan on it since the first time and nothing pops up.

I added spyblaster. Not sure if it's working? But I added it because of a recommendation.

I got this computer from my brother recently who said that it was loaded with spyware and if I can get it to work properly, then I can have it! So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did download the Hijack this thingy, and was wondering if I need to pursue that or do something different first? It seems like everything works but when I reboot, the spyware comes back. Again, thanks for any info!

I also apologize for any lack of knowledge that I may have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jmccracky

jmccracky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:53 AM

Update........

I have not rebooted the computer since my last post. Nothing has happened. But I know once I reboot, I have to follow all the steps to disable the virus's. My girlfriend has been online for the past 2 hours and everything has been fine. I just know that if I reboot, the MS virus comes back (and some others) until I run the anti-Malaware program.

Should I just re-format with an XP startup CD? I don't have any pics or anything that I need to save. So losing anything would not be a big deal. The only things I have would be my kid's games, but we still have the CD's and can re-install them.

Is my computer safe until then if I do not reboot? Is it safe to use it even if it's a week before I can re-do the whole thing? This is a good computer (from what my brother told me), and I'd like for my kids to use it for homework and playing games. Or should I take it to a place that can help? I'd love to be able to do it my self and learn. But if it is too difficult, I understand. I'm not able to spend the money right now to have a tech look at it for $200 or whatever. That is why I came here. Again, any help would be fantastic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users