Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable_boot_volume

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hoki

Hoki

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

ok so i have that kind of a problem on my another PC. i dont know what the heck is with it , i tried google for help and i tried some stuff which i found from there. i have tried the CD , well it dont seem to read it quite well , starting in safemod just makes it crash and boot again.

and when i put to normal windows start , it loads the windows xp home edition for a while and then the BSOD comes there and gives me again the same thing. so i cant get anywhere ! and i wouldnt want to lose any stuff because that pc have all my digital pictures and other stuff !

i know this is kinda messy looking but just ask for more information and i tell you what i've tried !

thanks for advance

PS: i've read the XP boot "fixes" and i really didnt find help from there....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

The standard fix for the Unmountable Boot Volume error...is to run chkdsk /r on the partition.

Louis

#3 Hoki

Hoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

well the problem is that i cant get it working.... i cant get the command thingy open , it dont read the XP installer cd or anything like that :S

#4 ThePowerDivine

ThePowerDivine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:39 AM

Boot windows XP os cd, select the option R for recovery console.
Now it will ask you to select the OS you want to login to fix it... select 1 and hit enter.
Now it will ask admin password, if you have any enter that and proceed.
Now you will be in a familiar DOS prompt: c:\Windows\>
Here type in chkdsk \p - its a quick fix.
or
chkdsk \r - prolonged fix,

if you have more than one partition, have it run on them also.

Then type in fixboot and hit enter. It will ask you top create a new boot info, type in Y to proceed and hit enter.

If you are having an OEM OS - from HP/DELL/Acer/Sony etc then do not do FIXBOOT, this wipes out the Image restore or the recovery option.

Now exit, restarts the computer.
You should be back on, if you still have the BSOD - 0x000000ED - Unmountable_Boot_Volume, contact your tech support or admin, the HDD is gone bad and cannot be fixed. Need to replace the HDD

All the best

Edited by ThePowerDivine, 04 September 2008 - 01:40 AM.

#5 Hoki

Hoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:59 AM

ummm.... i tried this thingy. it went to some repair window , after like 5 - 8 seconds it just crashes and all this starts from beginning.

so i guess i just need to bring the computer to some computer expert :S ?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:11 AM

If you can't get any of the tools to work, it's likely that there's a hardware issue causing this. It could be your hard drive, or it could be something else.

Try stripping the system down using this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 kciolek

kciolek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:49 AM

So if the chkdsk /r doesn't work and will alow me to reinstall XP my concern is getting the files off the hard drive...if i can re-install xp and don't format the drive can I get at those old files.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

It depends what is bad in the system. If it's an issue with the hard drive, you may not be able to easily recover the files.

One of the steps in the link provided above is a hard drive diagnostic. That will tell you if it's your hard drive or not. If the hard drive is dead/dying - then the data may be gone and you probably won't be able to reinstall XP on it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users