Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most memorable problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:22 PM

Hi all,

Put two old techs together and the next thing that happens: War stories.

I have two, and would like to hear yours. Maybe Grinler can create a "Best of" section. :cool:

The first call came to me as a keyboard problem. Upon arrival, I found my site contact holding her head down, shaking it. We walked down to a cubical to find a keyboard... I think. The user wanted to clean her keyboard - the keys were very dirty she said, and the windex wasn't cleaning the keys well. Sooooooo, the next obvious choice was Easy Off oven cleaner. The oven cleaner removed the dirt, the stuff the letters were put on the keys with, and melted a lot of the keys.

I replaced her keyboard, and she was required to turn over the can of oven cleaner to her site it contact. :flowers:

The second was with an industrial computer made to take any punishment a plant floor can give it. The contact told me that the hard drive must be dead. He turned it on and several beeps came and no hard drive activity. Sure enough, the error indicated a hard drive controller failure. (This is in the AT/PS2 days) I popped open the case while listening to a 3rd degree from my user as to how this high priced, bullet proof computer could have possibly died. I smiled and told him he had a mouse problem. The guy then proceeded to tell me I had no clue what I was doing. The problem was with the drive. How could I possibly think his computer could have a mouse problem???? I took my long nosed pliers and lifted a dead mouse off his hard drive controller that had relieved himself (I guess it was male) on his hard drive controller. I guess if you have to go, you have to go. It was his time to go because the mouse died right there. :trumpet: I didn't hear any further from my user. :thumbsup:

Just two that cause a smile. I hope you enjoy them!

Take care,
Rigel
:inlove:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:28 AM

Wow...i personally have never found a rodent in a computer :thumbsup: Thats nuts.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:39 AM

Nuts, that'll attract squirrels!!

Which reminds me...
My brother was a little league pitcher.
I was his catcher.
We were on vacation, hiking and he took aim at a chipmunk.

Good shot, it seemed dead.

Oh, well.
Being not heartless, we scooped it up,
it's heartbeat seemed like it might be present ,
even though it wasn't moving much.

Brought it back home.
Built it a cage.
It revived OK,
Mom & Sis and TLC...
and had a bunch of babies a few days later.

Cute little tiny pink things.
They grew up, eatting nuts, sunflower seeds,
always had a drip bottle of water to use.
Wire wheel toys & things.

They got out, probably the younger brother.
(lol, he'll blame me) cage door left open.

For years, they ate the stuff Dad or us
would leave in random places downstairs.

I can imagine a mouse problem ...
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:09 AM

I have a story, back from the dim, dark days of mainframe computers and large bandprinters. A certain European company produced a medium size bandprinter - the sort which prints by firing a hammer onto the paper which knocks the paper against an ink ribbon and then onto a spinning metal band which has characters embossed on it. Goodness knows how this design ever produced anything legible but it did (Its a common design), and it did it quite well. Except for the ink ribbon.
The Engineers (as we preferred to be called) were forever getting 'ribbon fault' calls. There were heaps of adjustments to keep the ink ribbon flowing smoothly: - Angle adjustments, tension adjustments, scraper wheels to take off excess ink, anti-static rollers - and still the damn things wouldn't run for more than a week at a time without a ribbon fault.
The customers were getting restless, the management put together a troubleshooting team of the best engineers and they experimented day and night for a month. Finally they flew them all to New Zealand to modify every printer there as a trial of the remedy.
Success at last. No more (well hardly any) ribbon faults!
We were sent out to do the mod on all the printers in Australia.
What was it? Oh, you unscrew all the adjustment arms and tension locks and ink scrapers and what not and throw them in the bin!

Fair dinkum. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 24 April 2005 - 08:11 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users