Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Issues And Loading Bios

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 purexinonce

purexinonce

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hi everyone i have an issue trying to load up my bios because my keyboard isn't working, and on top of that the window will not load. I simply get the black screen saying error loading operating system. Now i have tried 3 different type of ps2 keyboard i bought and my own, plus i also have a usb keyboard and tried but nothing seem to work. I cannot press any of the F keys nor Del key either, so that mean i cannot reformat my hard drive to install a new fresh window either. Please help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

I think this should be moved to the hardware section, because it's not about Windows 95-ME. Maybe that's why non of the experts have replied to you

I think it's a dead motherboard...but don't take my word for it..

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:25 AM

I agree with Funnytim, it sure seems like a Motherboard Problem if other Keyboards are doing the same thing.

I agree it is a Hardware Issue just yet, because without a Keyboard or Windows there is little you can do. No Keyboard = No Commands = No access to BIOS.

Edit, I diddn't notice you had tried USB Keyboard.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 20 September 2008 - 12:31 AM.

#4 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:38 AM

One thing you can do to eliminate the "keyboard not working question" is the try the keyboard(s) on a computer that is working.

If the keyboard works then you can blame it on the motherboard.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:48 AM

USB keyboard operation may not be enabled in the BIOS, and without PS/2 keyboard access, of course it can't be enabled... catch 22!

purexinonce, if you do come back to this topic, do the LEDs on the PS/2 keyboards flash when the system is powered up? If not, a little fusible protector that passes the keyboard power on the motherboard has probably popped - this can happen, especially if the PS/2 keyboard is plugged or unplugged while the computer is not fully powered off at the mains switch. This can be repaired, but costs a bit by the time you get an electronics technician to do it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users