Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Rebuild Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 huns

huns

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:51 AM

I have been infected with a nasty backdoor trojan. Following advice from elsewhere on this website, I need to reformat my hard drive. I don't have any backup images or system CDs. Can anyone tell me a simple and safe way to reinstall WindowsXP sp2?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:57 AM

System manufacturer and model?

You could always remove the hard drive...temporarily attach it to a different computer as a secondary drive...and delete all existing partitions...if you had an XP CD.

Do you have a valid XP license/key?

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:25 PM

If you're already infected, it's too late to back up your drive. You'll just move that with it
I'm just saying this because of the seriousness of your infection that I read

Edited by garmanma, 03 September 2008 - 02:31 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:31 PM

1. Ask your system manufacturer for restore disks. They may require little fee to send them.

2. Some manufacturers store Windows XP setup files on the hard disk. For example, Dell sometimes places them in "C:\i386" if you have those you can re-create Windows XP CD provided you have valid license key. Read complete tutorial here : http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwin...setupdisk.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users