Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Or Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ELGEE

ELGEE

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:08 AM

Hello,
I've got a problem with a Toshiba laptop. It's running XP Home Edition. It's a Satellite M45-S269. I'm thinking the hard drive is failing. I say that because the symtoms are all over the place. I can't do a CHKDSK or a defrag. It boots into safe mode sometimes and then sometimes it will freeze while trying to boot to Safe mode. I even tried reloading from cd and it will not complete and will freeze. If anyone has a suggestion for me I'd appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Deathscythe

Deathscythe

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:34 AM

Hey ELGEE,

Try downloading ERD commander - http://www.softlookup.com/display.asp?id=10071

Burn it to a CD and have the computer boot off of the cd, just like you did with the windows reload cd. After booting into it you should get a desktop that looks like the windows XP screen but actually is not. IF you click start and then run, then type cmd. You should see a black box. Type chkdsk /f /r and press enter. It may ask you if you want to dismount the volume in order to run a scan press y and enter to continue. Let me know if this helps or not. It sounds like your hard drive is on its way out. If you haven't made any backups of information I would recommend doing it ASAP.

-Scythe

#3 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:49 AM

Hey Deathscythe,
Thanks for the reply. The site is having issues page not found and it takes me to a Microsoft website.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:40 AM

If it's freezing when just trying to boot up a CD it could be faulty RAM or a faulty motherboard. If it freezes while it's trying to write to or initialize the hard drive it could be a problem just with the hard drive.
Either way, not booting from a CD points to a hardware fault somewhere. Could it be taken in for warranty repair?
Posted Image

#5 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:04 AM

No the warranty is done! I'll look at the memory swap it out!

#6 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:26 AM

Hey all,
Swapped out memory and got to safe mode. I set up the chkdsk for the next boot. So far its jus sitting at the windows XP splash page with the blue bar scrolling at the bottom. I'm letting it run to see it progresses any further!

#7 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:29 AM

Okay its doing the disk check now! Will keep you informed!

#8 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:18 AM

Okay, Chkdsk did not run. It stopped when verifing indexes with 2% completed. I rebooted into safe mode and chose to boot last know config that worked and now have an error: "windows could not strat because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system" attempt to fix with setup cd using the 'r' option.

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

Do you have a Window XP OEM setup CD? If so you can boot to it and run a repair installation, but only if you have an OEM, and not a Retail CD to match the product key sticker on your laptop, which you'll need to complete the installation.

If not, did the laptop come with disks of any kind?
Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

Clarification: A repair install can be made with either a retail or MS OEM XP CD, as long as there is no version conflict.

You cannot use an SP1 CD for Pro...to repair a SP2/SP3 Home install.

The diffferences between CDs/keys/licenses only becomes apparent clearly during either installs or any other circumstance where activation is part of the process.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2008 - 12:35 PM.

#11 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

No disk came with the Laptop! There is supposed to be a restore partition on the hard drive but the procedures to get to it don't work. I think my friend may have done something to

#12 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

Okay, so I'm trying to d a repair install on XP. when I get in setup and examining 33333 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi it gets hung or freezes. Would I be really wrong in thinking the hard drive is toast?

#13 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:49 PM

Okay I jumped the gun on that last post, it has moved on to searching for previous version of windows! Its just very slow!

Edited by ELGEE, 03 September 2008 - 01:49 PM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

When chkdsk /r has not been performed on a system in some time...it tends to affect the system adversely.

Before I began a repair install...I would have run chkdsk /r on the partition and eliminated all junk files/programs before attempting the repair.

I probably would have defragged the boot partition also.

Lack of routine maintenance impairs system functionality...which usually doesn't show up until situations like you are experiencing, IMO.

Louis

#15 ELGEE

ELGEE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

When chkdsk /r has not been performed on a system in some time...it tends to affect the system adversely.

Before I began a repair install...I would have run chkdsk /r on the partition and eliminated all junk files/programs before attempting the repair.

I probably would have defragged the boot partition also.

Lack of routine maintenance impairs system functionality...which usually doesn't show up until situations like you are experiencing, IMO.

Louis

I can agree with that! This is not my laptop. However chkdsk will not run and right now the repair install has failed to complete as well. the install is at the point where it says searching for a previous version of windows. It has been on this screen since my last post. Any ideas!

Edited by ELGEE, 03 September 2008 - 03:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users