Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Device On Serial Audio Bus ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 billybonzo

billybonzo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:21 AM

Hi all, the above message is is displayed upon startup of windows XP, and i cant remedy the problem. After a reformat i keep receiving this message and wondered what i need to do to stop it !

Thanks Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:10 AM

Hi Dave

Can you provide a bit more info.
What is the exact message and at what time does it appear?
Is your soundcard working ok?
Do you have more than one sound device - PCI card as well as integrated on M/B?
Have you checked Device Manager (Start-Settings-Control Panel-System. Select Hardware Tab then Device Manager)to see if there are any entries there with a yellow exclaimation mark.
Steve

#3 billybonzo

billybonzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:02 AM

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I may well have fixed the problem by installing the correct driver for a convexant modem, as after a restart the said problem isnt detected ?

however on startup i am still receiving the warning " Cli.exe Application failed" 0xc000000135. Any ideas ?

and in device manager there are exclamation marks against the following:

Other devices:

Base system device
Base system device
Base system device

i tried locating these via the found new hardware wizard but it returned the message

"the wizard cannot install these items as it cannot find the software"

Cheers

#4 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:31 AM

Hi Dave

Re cli.exe follow this link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ATICCC-368.html

Re exclaimations in device manager this does point to a driver issue. The problem you have is identifying the hardware so that you can download the correct drivers.
You say you loaded a driver for a connexant modem, does the modem show up in device manager ok.
I ask this as there are so many different connexant modems and drivers about that you might have loaded the wrong driver. Does the modem work ok?
Are there any devices on your PC that do not appear to be working?
Steve

#5 billybonzo

billybonzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:14 AM

The driver for the connexant modem appears to be ok looking at it in the Device manger list ? and all other hardware seems to be working fine apart from a Dlink usb dongle that i cant seem to get working even after re-installing the software ?

Cheers

#6 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:21 AM

If you remove the D-Link dongle and reboot do you still get the Base System Device notifications in Device Manager?
Steve

#7 billybonzo

billybonzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hi, i was working via Ethernet cable, so i plugged in the dongle and the "found new hardware wizard" appeared but couldnt install the software as it was not found. However on looking in the device manager, the was a new exclamation mark for the dongle " for the "802bg wlan" The other exclamation marks remained.

Cheers

#8 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

OK

You have two problems - one caused by the dongle and the other by an unknown device. The easiest to solve will be the D-Link dongle.
Not sure what part of the world you are in so am unable to provide a link, but go to your local D-Link website and download the latest drivers for your Wireless Dongle.
It's best to run the D-Link Driver software with the dongle unplugged. From what I can remember, the program will prompt you to plug in the dongle at the appropriate time.
Try that and see if that solves the dongle issue. If it does, we can move on to the second problem.

Edited by SLIX, 03 September 2008 - 10:07 AM.

Steve

#9 billybonzo

billybonzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hi, im currently downloading the latest software for the dongle, so fingers crossed that works. *Edit, i keep getting a timeout message from Internet explorer, arghhhh

As for the cli exe problem, is it just a case of downloading Hijack this and unclicking the 04 registry item ?

Edited by billybonzo, 03 September 2008 - 01:36 PM.

#10 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:09 AM

Hi Dave

cli.exe is not malware, its associated with ATI graphics cards and is to do with the ATI Catalyst Control Centre.
If the ATI Catalyst Control Centre is on your PC but you don't use it, just uninstall it using Add/Remove from the Windows Control Panel. If you want to use the ATI Catalyst Control Centre then I would suggest going to the ATI website and downloading the latest version for your graphics card. Uninstall the version you have before installing the latest version.
Steve

#11 billybonzo

billybonzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:59 AM

Hi Steve, i have removed the Catalyst centre which has fixed the problem.

Thanks very much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users